question about antivirus software

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I like trying out antivirus software, my question is if I install and afer a while uninstall antivirus software will doing that mess up my operating system considering I use my real system and not anything like vmware ?

D

Deleted member 178

carl fish said:
I like trying out antivirus software, my question is if I install and afer a while uninstall antivirus software will doing that mess up my operating system considering I use my real system and not anything like vmware ?

Everytime you install an antivirus, it creates on your system some drivers, registry entries and files not forcibly removed during their uninstallation (Norton is famous for that...), so more you install, more you will have leftovers that may slow/cripple your system (especially drivers located in "non-plug and play drivers"); it is why heavy testers like us are using VMs (or Rollback system).

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That's why it's best to have a backup before you installed your AV, so you can revert to that backup after once you want to get rid of that AV.

I

illumination

I test different products all the time on my production machine, as long as you are capable enough to remove all remnants of the product before moving on to another you should be fine. You can use products such as Revo uninstaller to help with the process. Others here may have a different view on this, but i test them this way as i like to see how they will perform "resource wise" on my real time system. Testing Malware is another story though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.