Advice Request Question about Windows Firewall Control (and combination with simplewall doable?)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
I forgot to mention if you decide to install Windows 10 Firewall Control, make sure you turn off the Application Detection Sound feature first, if you can because you'll see how ear piercing it is. I advise you to go to Sphinx site and look at the screenshots, especially the "settings" screenshot to see where to uncheck the sound (look at the bottom), then look around and get familiar with this program so your install experience will be much more enjoyable. The help file will be a great benefit as it is pretty extensive. The more you play with this the more you will like it - guaranteed.

Finally done with setting up MBAM wdc, and just uninstalled it. Super easy and fast. To be done in addition with Stop Windows 10 spying on you using just Windows Firewall (although i suspect WFW still allowing some MS bypass anyway)

Nevertheless:
When installing Sphinx, i've noticed previous MBAM rules are kind of ignored by Sphinx (i mean, i have to set again new rules over Sphinx for every new single connections). Is that normal or is there a way to import MBAM-made rules into Sphinx ?
plus, In Sphinx, this looks more laborious with all these MSonline/Msoffline/Browser/allowall/blockall/incoming/outcoming categories.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nevertheless:
When installing Sphinx, i've noticed previous MBAM rules are kind of ignored by Sphinx (i mean, i have to set again new rules over Sphinx for every new single connections). Is that normal or is there a way to import MBAM-made rules into Sphinx ?
plus, In Sphinx, this looks more laborious with all these MSonline/Msoffline/Browser/allowall/blockall/incoming/outcoming categories.

Sorry, but you were advised about potential issues in earlier posts. :emoji_neutral_face:

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
Sorry, but you were advised about potential issues in earlier posts. :emoji_neutral_face:

Ok, then i will re-do the rules once more. Hopefully most of them are to be set up during first day.
Moving on VS settings as well.

Thanks everybody for your help, i'm almost done :D

make sure you turn off the Application Detection Sound feature first, if you can because you'll see how ear piercing it is. I advise you to go to Sphinx site and look at the screenshots, especially the "settings" screenshot to see where to uncheck the sound (look at the bottom)

Looking into /windows/media/ folder there are lots of nice notification sounds to pick :)
I instead turned off the bottom right yellow bubble notifications.

• Wow
Reactions: oldschool

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
@JeanCraie

"Finally done with setting up MBAM wdc, and just uninstalled it." "Nevertheless:
When installing Sphinx, i've noticed previous MBAM rules are kind of ignored by Sphinx (i mean, i have to set again new rules over Sphinx for every new single connections). Is that normal or is there a way to import MBAM-made rules into Sphinx ?"

If you just uninstalled MBAM the why would you want to make rules for it in Sphinx? Sphinx like every firewall is only going to see applications that want to connect when you use them. Sphinx has its own default OS rules made bt the developer to make installation and use of this firewall more friendly(easier to use). If MBAM is Not installed then there is no need for MBAM rules. Regarding Bubble Notifications, by disabling them you now have No Idea what is going on with your Network. Sphinx has a Help file - You Need to Read that and Understand...

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
Roger there. I've put back the notifications.

Next step, installing OSarmor & SysHadener and leaving the latter as it is, until i get familiar with OSA.
And way later, VS xD

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
@JeanCraie
I would wait on installing SysHardener for a long time well after you get your Antivirus and Firewall configured and are comfortable with them. You are trying to do too much at the same time which is going to create a BIG Fail, and you won't know what caused what. Slow down, take your time learning your software, "one software at a time and relax and read the Help files." You are making this more complicated than it needs to be...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.