Advice Request Questions about GDPR cookie consents on websites

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Got some questions regarding these cookie consent messages that we see on a regular basis.

Cutting to the chase:
  1. Are these GDPR-compliant cookie consent messages complicated or misleading?
  2. If I clear my browser history, cache and cookies on regular basis, do I need to consent again?
  3. What's the best way to configure my browser to prevent advertising cookies?
  4. Do content blockers (ie. adblockers) help in anyway?
  5. What's happens if my Adblocker hides these messages, are cookies set?

Here is an example of what I mean about "Cookie Consent for GDPR compliant sites".

Cookie preferences

Advertising cookies

Functional cookies

Required cookies

Provide secure log-in

x​

x​

x​

Remember how far you are through an order

x​

x​

x​

Remember your log-in details

x​

x​

Remember what is in your shopping cart

x​

x​

Make sure the website looks consistent

x​

x​

Allow you to share pages with social networks

x​

Allow you to post comments

x​

Serve ads relevant to your interests

x​

On Forbes.com (which rarely loads).
1529087317839.png 1529087376615.png 1529088096282.png

I chose Required cookies only and you're "temporary" blocked from visiting the site.
1529088421456.png

Thanks for the help and any input.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
1. No
2. No, that would be too annoying, the site will cache it on their end
3. In browser settings select block all cookies (except homemade chocolate chip, I allow these)
4. No
5. Yes, to their preference or they will ask you to turn off your ad blocker

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yah...those annoying cookie messages

In uBO there's Fanboy's CookieMonster List which you can enable or

you can use an extension 'I don't care about cookies' to block them. I find using extension more effective

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yah...those annoying cookie messages

In uBO there's Fanboy's CookieMonster List which you can enable or

you can use an extension 'I don't care about cookies' to block them. I find using extension more effective
Are you sure it blocks them? I'm aware that some cookie filter list actually accepts the cookies so that users don't have to receive those site notifications.

Reactions: Weebarra

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Are you sure it blocks them? I'm aware that some cookie filter list actually accepts the cookies so that users don't have to receive those site notifications.
What I meant it prevented the cookie messages from appearing. I have '3rd-party cookies blocked' with exception cookies in my setting and also have Cookie AutoDelete set to delete cookies every 15 sec

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.