Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hi!

I have been using Shadow Defender for a year, and it really helped me a lot. I would like to try now Rollback RX Pro, on my Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit system, since it has 'snapshots' which SD don't have.

Questions:

1. About Fast Startup/Boot. Will Rollback affect it?
2. About Rollback's own defragmenter, is their defragmenter partition-wide, or just for their snapshots?
3. About Windows Updates/AntiVirus updates - how do I set exclusions for Windows Updates/AV updates? Or do I need to update the baseline for it?

Thanks.

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Hello ifacedown,

These are the answers to your questions.

1) The effect of Rollback Rx on your system startup/boot is very much negligible or in other words. i can say that it does not effect at all.
2) Rollback Rx Snapshots Defragmentor is just for their snapshots. The name itself tells you what it does.
3) You don't need to do anything in regard to Windows/AV updates.

Reactions: LabZero

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello ifacedown,

These are the answers to your questions.

1) The effect of Rollback Rx on your system startup/boot is very much negligible or in other words. i can say that it does not effect at all.
2) Rollback Rx Snapshots Defragmentor is just for their snapshots. The name itself tells you what it does.
3) You don't need to do anything in regard to Windows/AV updates.
Thanks much.

I mean in #1, does it disable the hybrid shutdown/hibernate startup? I read that it loads first the Rollback mini-OS before loading Windows, am I right?

Would you choose Rollback over Shadow Defender? I read some users had issues on Rollback, while on Shadow Defender, everything is positive.

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
I want to tell you that Rollback Rx does not have any issues with SD/RSS.
Yes, Rollback Rx loads before loading windows.
Installing Rollback Rx does not change anything. You can use your system like you used it earlier.
It only disables your windows system restore on your system and it is absolutely right in doing so because you won't be needing it any longer.

The only problem i had was when i tried to clean my free space using Ccleaner. So, never try to do so.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I want to tell you that Rollback Rx does not have any issues with SD/RSS.
Yes, Rollback Rx loads before loading windows.
Installing Rollback Rx does not change anything. You can use your system like you used it earlier.
It only disables your windows system restore on your system and it is absolutely right in doing so because you won't be needing it any longer.

The only problem i had was when i tried to clean my free space using Ccleaner. So, never try to do so.
So, it is untrue that Rollback will not install on a PC with ShadowDefender installed?

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
No, it is absolutely wrong to say so and Rollback Rx has no issues with any app in this regard.

Last edited:

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
I have installed Shadow Defender successfully on my system along side Rollback Rx without any problem.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As I have continually testing the version of Rollback RX, its just a little maintenance like for example regarding in Windows Update/AV exclusion, the better way is replace a newer snapshots after conducting updates and as much as possible leave the baseline for safety purpose.

Reactions: scot

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
It is better to have the default settings in regard to scheduling your snapshots, if you are using Rollback Rx for the first time.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Rollback may cause issues with BSOD's i know i had alot of problems with this software ,never used it again.

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Rollback may cause issues with BSOD's i know i had alot of problems with this software ,never used it again.
When we install & uninstall apps, lot of changes are made in regard to the registry, so every system is different from the other.
Some people can have some problem with that app but that does'nt mean the problem is with the that specific app.
Every time we install a new app, we need to have a backup so that if anything goes wrong we can use that backup.

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
It is always possible that someone or the other will be having a problem with some application, as i earlier said no two system's are same.
You please report the issue here for assistance & they will be happy to help you.
http://support.horizondatasys.com

ronaldh

Jan 5, 2015
Most of your questions have already been answered, but from my own previous experience with the software (Rollback Rx commercial, not the free version) boot time is increased but by a minimal amount. A couple of seconds in my case. As for the BSOD, I didn't encounter any issues with that, in fact, I was able to get out of one with the program.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Sorry..probably a bit late :( but according to my experience, Rollback is a very good program and does the job very well, I never had any BSOD's with Rollback, and to answer your questions.

1.Yes Perhaps..a very little bit, only couple seconds, you'll see Rollback Rx's logo before windows logo. At this state you can press "Home" if you want to rollback to your previous state. You can still rollback to any previous state even if your windows cannot boot to desktop.

2. Not really sure about this, but I think only its snapshot, also I do not recommend to defrag your disk while using Rollback, if you really want to Defrag your disk, uninstall it first, defrag your disk and install it again. The reason is, if you defrag your disk it will make the snapshots bigger (which we don't want)

You can read further here :

http://community.horizondatasys.com...lback-rx-ssd-trim-and-disk-defraggers-support

http://support.horizondatasys.com/K...defrag-my-drives-after-installing-rollback-rx

3. As far as I know, you can't. The only things you can exclude is the partitions of your hard drive, keep in mind by default it will make a snapshot of your whole partitions, if you want only to make a snapshot on specific partition (for instance only C partition) you should choose custom installation and follow the instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.