Rabbit malware

L

LabZero

Thread author
Hello

Well, we all know the various types of malware: trojans, spyware, rootkits, etc.

But the "rabbit" ? :D

Surfing on the web, I found some informations on this type of malware that I honestly know little.
Hoping that some of you don't know precisely what are rabbit, I thought I'd do this short description.

The rabbit, also called "wabbit", are probably the dumbest category, pointless and annoying malware. Their purpose is to fit into a computer and multiply, until it fills all the space possible: hence their name, "rabbit", for the speed with which the rabbits reproduce. Besides taking up space on your hard disk, also have the funny habit of starting new processes, which increase in exponential progression, until a computer quickly, consuming all of its computing capacity. Aside from that, it not infects any files: it multiplies and eats all the resources available on your computer, that's all.
The end result of a rabbit is to bombard a system with requests for process to be activated until the system collapses. Forcing a computer to do more work than they can sustain, in short, and the computer will eventually give in. Rabbit will not damage your files, you do not ship to your contacts: send only to crash your computer. A stupid, useless malware and annoying, in fact.
As for other malware, even rabbit are not automatic, but must be user initiated with a click: a good reason because it's always good to check everything carefully, before you use it.

This malware was more widespread in the past, but even today you can infect your PC even because not all the antiviruses detect them because they can be a simple batch file.

If you are unable to terminate processes that are created by the rabbit with the Task Manager, you can try to reboot your PC and run a scan with your antivirus.

Regards :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sinu

Thread author
Hello

Well, we all know the various types of malware: Trojans, spyware, rootkits, etc.

But the "rabbit" ? :D

Surfing on the web, I found some informations on this type of malware that I honestly know little.
Hoping that some of you don't know precisely what are rabbit, I thought I'd do this short description.

The rabbit, also called "wabbit", are probably the dumbest category, pointless and annoying malware. Their purpose is to fit into a computer and multiply, until it fills all the space possible: hence their name, "rabbit", for the speed with which the rabbits reproduce. Besides taking up space on your hard disk, also have the funny habit of starting new processes, which increase in exponential progression, until a computer quickly, consuming all of its computing capacity. Aside from that, it not infects any files: it multiplies and eats all the resources available on your computer, that's all.
The end result of a rabbit is to bombard a system with requests for process to be activated until the system collapses. Forcing a computer to do more work than they can sustain, in short, and the computer will eventually give in. Rabbit will not damage your files, you do not ship to your contacts: send only to crash your computer. A stupid, useless malware and annoying, in fact.
As for other malware, even rabbit are not automatic, but must be user initiated with a click: a good reason because it's always good to check everything carefully, before you use it.

This malware was more widespread in the past, but even today you can infect your PC even because not all the antiviruses detect them because they can be a simple batch file.

If you are unable to terminate processes that are created by the rabbit with the Task Manager, you can try to reboot your PC and run a scan with your antivirus.

Regards :)
Can this be avoided by comodo's default deney system and autosandbox?

L

LabZero

Thread author
I think the rabbit has the same features as the worm because it replicates by creating copies of itself in the operating system.
So Comodo even in default settings should detect the worm/rabbit , sandbox it and preventing any modification to the real system.

These worms (which have extension ". BAT ") are very easy to write and do not need to be compiled, have limited potential. The instructions of these worms are exactly the same instructions that could be written on the Windows command prompt but not all antiviruses always recognize this type of malware.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably it can be place to be Joke Category since it provides annoying messages/pop ups and warnings as prank which none of them contains execution to infect the computer but rather may slowdown the computer due to excessive resources.

Reactions: LabZero

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.