BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Local account I didn't create, named with some random letters keeps reappearing after I delete it.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Deletion of that account, multiple times. Machine is not infected.
Windows 10 Pro x86. Activated. Fresh install. I noticed this a yesterday for the first time. No signs of infection except that unusual behavior. Scanned with ESS 8, Zemana and MalwareBytes. Nothing found. Everything is working perfectly except that "anomaly"
Found one guy also that has the same problem
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/16f04b95-9268-445e-819e-72e1fb465049?auth=1
No answer from Microsoft.

Does anyone have some info about this?

Edit : Solved :D
ESET Smart Security (Antiteft) keeps creating them.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
:D
Actually it wasn't so quick :( I was investigating the whole morning here and found nothing. Usually (On Windows 7, 8.1) ESET Antiteft reminds you on your account page that you need to create a Phantom Account with desired name, which will serve its purpose when/if device is stolen. But apparently on Windows 10, ESET creates another random letter account if something is not right (for example there is account with no password), creating vicious circle :
I will create another account because this one is not right => newly created account isn't right either because it isn't a good example of a Phantom Account so I will => create another random letter account, and so on....
Solution => Remove device completely from ESET AntiTeft and re-add it again. In case someone needs this info :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.