Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Big changes are coming to Rapidshare today. The file hosting company some time ago announced a drastic change in its business model that would turn it around almost completely. File that are hosted on Rapidshare from today on have a limited bandwidth quota that resets each day. The paying user bandwidth quote for instance has been set to 30 Gigabyte of traffic per day, while uploads by free users are limited to 1 Gigabyte of traffic per day. This means that no one, expect for the account owner and contacts of the account owner, can download the files if the quota limit is reached.

Rapidshare’s previous system did not limit the total download bandwidth of a file, a fact that made the service attractive for users who needed to distribute files to a large audience.

Rapidshare users who only download files from the service benefit from the change, as download speeds are no longer artificially limited by the file hoster.

Rapidshare today announced the availability of RapidDrive 1.0, a software for Windows that enables Rapidshare account owners to manage their files right from Windows Explorer. Files and folders can be accessed like any other hard drive that is currently connected to the PC. The software is launched on the same day that Rapidshare launches its new hosting model to the public.

rapiddrive.jpg

The client displays the upload progress while files are being transferred. You can furthermore integrate the feature in the right-click context menu and configure options to change the drive letter or label, disable auto boot with the PC or have the client remember the password automatically so that you do not have to enter it any time you connect to the service.

RapidDrive for Mac OSX is expected to be released in the first quarter of 2013.

It is not necessary to list non-account users here as all account related settings affect only the hosting side of things, not the downloading, and since guests can’t upload files to Rapidshare, it is not relevant for them.

The limitation of public traffic makes Rapidshare less attractive to users who want to spread files to a large audience in a short period of time. 30 Gigabytes per day may sound like a lot, but if you take a closer look, you will notice that it is not really that much.

Users who previously made money by uploading files to Rapidshare won’t be able to do that anymore, considering that free users can download all files at maximum speed and without wait time from today on. Uploaders will move to other services, and part of the people who downloaded from Rapidshare will eventually follow.

I’m expecting Rapidshare to take a dive in terms of traffic and popularity on the Internet. It may on the other hand protect the file hosting service from further allegations or even the danger of being shut down completely by the authorities. What’s your take on the new Rapidshare?

Source

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have never really used Rapidshare for the reason is that last time I did my machine got wiped because of something I downloaded, but this tool though does seem interesting.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I don't use RapidShare because whenever i use to download any file from rapidshare i am not able to pause the downloading i had the download completely or if i close it i had to download it from startting

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Unknown said:
I don't use RapidShare because whenever i use to download any file from rapidshare i am not able to pause the downloading i had the download completely or if i close it i had to download it from startting

You should be able to pause all downloading when your using IE 9 and Firefox and Chrome (I think).

P

Plexx

McLovin said:
You should be able to pause all downloading when your using IE 9 and Firefox and Chrome (I think).

Doesn't work with rapidshare nor any download manager, unless you are using the paid version membership.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I use to download P*** 5-6 years back but now the Po** sites too get away from rapidshare :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ahh, right I see. So when you go to download and then pause it and play it again it won't find the download?

Biozfear said:
Doesn't work with rapidshare nor any download manager, unless you are using the paid version membership.

P

Plexx

nope.

It is the same as a download manager.

Rapidshare is not the only service that has that.

Gamers Hell used to be like that. MMOSITE at one stage was like that until everyone complained so they added the resume feature, whilst separating members from non members bandwith and also track their own torrents since most games from few years back are always over 700mbs.

EVE Online before windows 7 release was just over 400mb. Now is way over 1GB for example and that is not counting the patches.

As for the reason for Rapidshare to change their business model there are several possible reasons: One of them being the piracy hosted everywhere from older files to most popular files and even pirated movies etc. Most users would pay for even a day just to be able to mass download the files. Not to mention Rapidshare is known to have split rar/7z files, yet not everyone has high speed connection.

it is all about money for RS. Have a look at the Rapidshare's Rapid Pro prices: 30 days for only 9.90 €, 150 days for 29.90 € and 2 years for 99.90 €.

Most users will go for the 150 days simply because is way cheaper than 30 days for 5 months right? Nope not everyone since there will be users who simply do not want the service to be for so many months. That being said, RS will make more money of the lowest times span.

Known and old marketing model across the map.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hmm, never would I buy from any upload site one, just for the reason as they might scam you (they might you never know). Personally all sites should have it where people are able to pause downloads and resume them with no trouble.

Anyway the tool looks much easier to use, and would be easier to upload as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.