Battle Recommendation for messaging app that supports SMS/MMS?

Compare list
Google Messages
Recommend other SMS messaging apps

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Following Signal's controversial announcement that SMS/MMS support would be dropped from their app. This means you can no longer reply to SMS/MMS chats within Signal. Exporting SMS to another compatible app is the only way to reply to insecure SMS messages.

For context I do not use SMS for messaging, however upon occasion I receive SMS messages that need a reply. I can no longer do that with Signal.

What SMS/MMS app do you recommend for Android?

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

Orchid

Level 1
Jan 27, 2023
Well, I use the default messaging app by GrapheneOS. However, since the announcement of Signal dropping SMS/MMS support, two people forked the Signal app (Signal being open source) and kept the SMS/MMS function for users who don't want to use a different messaging app. The forked Signal app may be an option for you or anyone who used Signal.

Johanw666 - Signal Android
ryukoposting - Signal Android

• Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
I never use sms but this is easy simple foss no trackers etc. Simple SMS from fdroid

(All the simple tools are really good)

Last edited:

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Following Signal's controversial announcement that SMS/MMS support would be dropped from their app. This means you can no longer reply to SMS/MMS chats within Signal. Exporting SMS to another compatible app is the only way to reply to insecure SMS messages.

For context I do not use SMS for messaging, however upon occasion I receive SMS messages that need a reply. I can no longer do that with Signal.

What SMS/MMS app do you recommend for Android?
Sadly, Google Messages, with most of the features enabled, especially Spam Protection et cetera.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Sad that Signal decided to null regular SMS/Text. Problem with Google's in-built messenger is that it's a standalone app, that requires updates from Google Play and from what I've seen they just update it at will without any changelog or anyway to check what they updated/changed. It's the same deal with carrier service, which you need to make calls so you really can't avoid Google or Google Play Store with modern day Android.

Reactions: goodjohnjr

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't see any reason to use anything other than Google Messages; handles SMS/MMS and automatically applies end-to-end encryption to RCS messages.
Google Messages it is.

Sad that Signal decided to null regular SMS/Text. Problem with Google's in-built messenger is that it's a standalone app, that requires updates from Google Play and from what I've seen they just update it at will without any changelog or anyway to check what they updated/changed. It's the same deal with carrier service, which you need to make calls so you really can't avoid Google or Google Play Store with modern day Android.
As you said it was convenient having a single app. However, I have no issues with using Google services if it's the best overall app.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The Signal app from github by johan6www looks like got support for SMS

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The Signal app from github by johan6www looks like got support for SMS/MMS

Yeah, no thanks. Signal team of developer's vs a 1-man team fork. Thanks, but no thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.