Guide | How To Recommendations Before Installing Windows 7 SP1

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Windows 7 SP 1 was launched on February 22nd, 2011 so here are some tips and recommendations from Microsoft before moving forward with their installation:

• First off – for those of you simply looking to update a single PC or your home PCs, it's recommended using Windows Update instead of downloading the standalone installer (or Network Installation Package) from the Microsoft Download Center. Windows Update will provide the best installation experience for you.
  • Before installing Windows 7 SP1, please backup your PC (and important files) to an external hard drive, DVD/CD or network location. It is best practice to regularly backup your PC and important files. Windows 7 has impressive built-in backup capabilities which you can learn about here.
  • Make sure your device drivers are up to date. You can do this through Windows Update or device manufacturer's websites.
  • Check your PC for any known malware and viruses before installing Windows 7 SP1.
    We recommend that you do a scan with the following anti-malware products :
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    Hitman Pro
    SuperAntiSpyware
    If you experience any problems completing this scans , please start a new thread in here
  • When installing Windows 7 SP1 on a laptop PC, make sure it’s plugged in to an electrical outlet (AC)
  • Your PC will need to reboot after installing Windows 7 SP1 so make sure you save all your work and close your applications before you begin your installation.
  • Installing Windows 7 SP1 will require a bit more hard drive space so if you don’t have enough, I recommend running Ccleaner to assist in freeing up hard drive space.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Follow Jack's advice

Additional info to Jack's initial posts

If comodo users have problems of installing SP1 through windows update then my suggestion is that you download the SP1 manually, when that is done please disconnect from the net, disable comodo antivirus's realtime scanner and begin the installation.

This might belongs to comodo sector but I want people to know how to solve this problem and especially if users aren't registered at comodo forums.

Regards,
Valentin N

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
I had an error while trying to install, is this a known issue between Comodo & the Windows update?

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
For problems with CIS please see this post on the Comodo Forums.

It looks like it could have been caused by a faulty signature. Please update your definitions and try again.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Not a good day for Comodo as this looks pretty serious. Is this only on 64bit versions of windows?

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
Not a good day for Comodo as this looks pretty serious.
The problem should be solved. Let me know if you see any problems.

bogdan said:
Is this only on 64bit versions of windows?
It sounds like it should be.
However, I'm running Windows 7 x64 and never saw any problems.

Maybe I'm just lucky. :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Information: When you download Windows 7 SP1 from Microsoft Download Center, the file size will be more than 4 times larger when compared to its download using Windows Update.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.