Advice Request redundant backup software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just wondering, we generally understand not to run 2 anti-virus apps but do have various layers of anti-malware at the same time. Wondering if this also applies to backup software? I've been running Macrium Reflect without any apparent problems and recently updated to version 8.0.7175. I do occasionally upload a specific file to pcloud manually. OS is win10 21H2, I am not running MS OneDrive or any automated full backup to cloud. Should I also backup to cloud, if so is there a preferred cloud storage at MT, or could / should I run a 2d local backup app, eg, AOMEI, or other recommendation, eg, would AOMEI conflict with Macrium assuming they backup on different schedules. Is Terabyte a solid option? Thanks. (PS once upon a long time ago, I had a hdd crash, and I spent $$$s on recovery)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Everyone has different backup needs, here's what I do.

I have the paid version of Macrium, nothing changes a lot on my computer so I do a incremental backup maybe every couple of months. I also have the paid version of Aomei, I use it to backup files in real time. This is how it works. I use Sync to backup everything to the cloud, it puts a folder on my C drive, anything I put in here gets automatically backed up to the cloud. Sync will not backup my folders to the cloud automatically(documents, music etc), it will only backup what is put in the Sync folder on C drive. With Aeomi you can specify what folders you want to backup in real time and where , such as documents, music etc. Aomei backs these up to the Sync folder on my C drive which in turn backs them up to the cloud.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you cannot backup up files with Macrium in real time? Basically to do that you would just make an incremental everyday.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Everyone has different backup needs, here's what I do.

I have the paid version of Macrium, nothing changes a lot on my computer so I do a incremental backup maybe every couple of months. I also have the paid version of Aomei, I use it to backup files in real time. This is how it works. I use Sync to backup everything to the cloud, it puts a folder on my C drive, anything I put in here gets automatically backed up to the cloud. Sync will not backup my folders to the cloud automatically(documents, music etc), it will only backup what is put in the Sync folder on C drive. With Aeomi you can specify what folders you want to backup in real time and where , such as documents, music etc. Aomei backs these up to the Sync folder on my C drive which in turn backs them up to the cloud.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you cannot backup up files with Macrium in real time? Basically to do that you would just make an incremental everyday.
Big help for me! Thanks. I will spend the time digging into AOMEI. My Macrium is paid too, but I'm no expert on its features and limitations. I do not use Macrium in real-time, and at least with ver.7, I never tried to. As I was updating to ver.8, I noticed they have some support videos, and I plan to spend some time with them this week to learn more. Ver.7 was running an incremental backup every night around 3am. My "fear" is that I think I'm getting good backups, but I don't really know, ie, I have not tried testing any to see if they are good. I've had various backup options over the years, including mirror physical hdd (real-time) hardware solution, and also ran Terabyte clones to CD on regular basis. I need to focus on backups, be knowingly happy with backup procedure.

Reactions: Nevi and mkoundo

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
I follow the 3-2-1 backup method:
Keep at least 3 backup copies
Keep backups on at least 2 different media
Keep at least 1 backup at a different location, for example on the cloud.
My system + data hardly changes, so I do this on a monthly basis and only store important encrypted files on the cloud.

In macrium you can check that your backup is valid when you create them (or you can go back and check older backups). Edit your backup profile to include image verification. It doesn't take long and confirms your backup is OK:

1670309009502.png

You can verify older backups here:

1670309141952.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@mkoundo
Thanks for you reply. Good info, I was sorta thinking the same thing but less structured, and I think I need better procedure / structure for my backups.
I'll also try image verification. I had done verification in the distant past with other software, but have not been focusing on backups until recently. I just assumed ... ...

Reactions: mkoundo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.