Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
A security feature offered by PayPal to help prevent accounts from being taken over by hackers can be easily circumvented, an Australian security researcher has found.

PayPal users can elect to receive a six-digit passcode via text message in order to access their accounts. The number is entered after a username and password is submitted.

The security feature, known as two-factor authentication, is an option on many online services such as Google and mandatory on many financial services websites for certain kinds of high-risk transactions. Since the code is sent offline or generated by a mobile application, it is much more difficult for hackers to intercept although by no means impossible.

Joshua Rogers, a 17-year-old based in Melbourne, found a way to get access to a PayPal account that has enabled two-factor authentication. He published details of the attack on his blog on Monday after he said PayPal failed to fix the flaw despite being notified on June 5.

By going public with the information, Rogers will forfeit a reward usually paid by PayPal to security researchers that requires confidentiality until a software vulnerability is fixed. Rogers estimated the reward might be around $3000, although PayPal didn’t give him a figure.

“I don’t care about the money, no,” he said via email. “Money isn’t everything in this world.”

The attack requires a hacker to know a person’s eBay and PayPal login credentials, but malicious software programs have long been able to easily harvest those details from compromised computers.

The fault lies in a page on eBay that allows users to link their eBay account with PayPal, which eBay owns. Linking the accounts creates a cookie that makes the PayPal application think the person is logged in, even if a six-digit code has not been entered, Rogers wrote on his blog.

The problem lies specifically in the “=_integrated-registration” function, Rogers wrote, which does not check to see if the victim has two-factor authentication enabled. An attacker could repeatedly gets access to the PayPal account by linking and de-linking the eBay and PayPal accounts of a person, he wrote. He posted a video of the attack on YouTube.

PayPal officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

Full Article

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Okay so basically, you can only access that Paypal account throught eBay in order to use it, right ? As even if you link the Paypal account to your eBay account, if you go on Paypal's website directly, you still never signed up on there with the 2FA so they'll ask you it and you'll fail to provide it.

Is that flaw only on eBay and Paypal, or every other websites that allows you to link your Paypal account to your website account ? I don't use these kind of websites (I don't shop online), but I would guess that it could be the same thing for Amazon for exemple if you can link your Paypal account to your Amazon account ?

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Another reason why you should limit access to your browsers profile folders (and cookies). I have mine so only my browser can access it. No cookies = no session stealing.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Uh oh, that's dangerous, anybody can simply launch a keylogger, and use that ebay account to link/delink PayPal, then MONEY (and identity) GALORE!

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hey Cowpipe hope you are okay/well!!! :)

I'm using Google Chrome, how would I "Another reason why you should limit access to your browsers profile folders (and cookies). I have mine so only my browser can access it. No cookies = no session stealing."

Reactions: Cowpipe

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hmm, PayPal. Been using alot of this recently. I do have this two-factor authentication, and you'd think that that should secure your account after what happened last time with PayPal, and eBay.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hey Cowpipe hope you are okay/well!!! :)

I'm using Google Chrome, how would I "Another reason why you should limit access to your browsers profile folders (and cookies). I have mine so only my browser can access it. No cookies = no session stealing."

Hey Tony, I'm doing well thanks, hope you're doing good :)

On Windows I use access control, the problem being that this is geared towards users. So I can restrict a certain user from reading or writing to a folder but not restrict a program (without using some custom software). So on my system, I have an account called "Browser", and I set Chrome, Firefox etc to run under that account (right click > properties > run as)... Then I go to my browsers profile folders, eg: C:\Users\Cowpipe\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\ and right click on the folder and remove read and write access for all users except "Browser". That way, when I'm logged on as Cowpipe, no programs that I run can access my profile folder (cookies, cache etc), only programs running as "Browser" can access that folder.

This is enough to foil most generic 'password stealing' malware for example usbstealer. You can try it out by running ChromePass from Nirsoft (a legitimate password recovery tool) and if all goes well, it should either display an error or display no passwords (of course, make sure you have a couple of passwords saved first (just create some test accounts and click "Always remember my password" at the chrome prompt. Or if you use Firefox, use PasswordFox etc

It's a bit of a hack I know, but it's just an extra layer of protection and the more layers to your net, the less malware will slip through :)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Cowpipe, yes I am well thanks (very tiered as still on-call)

Thank you for the explanation/info I will give it a go :)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi Cowpipe, yes I am well thanks (very tiered as still on-call)

Thank you for the explanation/info I will give it a go :)

I can't say I envy you being on call, but I do know how it is. I've been on sets where I've been working for 48 hours straight without a break, it's so hard to keep concentration.

If you get stuck, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it ;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thanks, that's very kind of you :)

I hate it when they want you to work 48hrs, I have had only 5hrs sleep and now going back on the wards etc., NOT FAIR :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.