Researchers develop device that can ‘hear’ your internal voice

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Researchers develop device that can ‘hear’ your internal voice

govtslaves.info: Researchers develop device that can ‘hear’ your internal voice – GOVTSLAVES.INFO

April 7, 2018 Author GOV'T SLAVES

MIT-DEVICE.jpg

Researchers have created a wearable device that can read people’s minds when they use an internal voice, allowing them to control devices and ask queries without speaking.

The device, called AlterEgo, can transcribe words that wearers verbalise internally but do not say out loud, using electrodes attached to the skin.

“Our idea was: could we have a computing platform that’s more internal, that melds human and machine in some ways and that feels like an internal extension of our own cognition?” said Arnav Kapur, who led the development of the system at MIT’s Media Lab.

Kapur describes the headset as an “intelligence-augmentation” or IA device, and was presented at the Association for Computing Machinery’s Intelligent User Interface conference in Tokyo. It is worn around the jaw and chin, clipped over the top of the ear to hold it in place. Four electrodes under the white plastic device make contact with the skin and pick up the subtle neuromuscular signals that are triggered when a person verbalises internally. When someone says words inside their head, artificial intelligence within the device can match particular signals to particular words, feeding them into a computer.

The computer can then respond through the device using a bone conduction speaker that plays sound into the ear without the need for an earphone to be inserted, leaving the wearer free to hear the rest of the world at the same time. The idea is to create a outwardly silent computer interface that only the wearer of the AlterEgo device can speak to and hear.

“We basically can’t live without our cellphones, our digital devices. But at the moment, the use of those devices is very disruptive,” said Pattie Maes, a professor of media arts and sciences at MIT. “If I want to look something up that’s relevant to a conversation I’m having, I have to find my phone and type in the passcode and open an app and type in some search keyword, and the whole thing requires that I completely shift attention from my environment and the people that I’m with to the phone itself.”

READ FULL STORY

----------------------------------------------

...so could you survive without GOVTSLAVES.INFO?..

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I was reading this same article this morning as well! Wowzers! Can some of us agree in a way this is a little creepy? Imagine if a person was forced to wear the device so that interrogators could get information that would otherwise remain in someone's head not verbally spoken.

I can see the great upsides of this device as well - those who have a hard time speaking or cannot speak for various reasons now have a 'voice' that can help them. The possibilities of the device itself in my mind are quite limitless because it opens up a whole new world for those who have disabilities.

Great post!

~Brian

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
A device that can read your mind, transcribe it, then send it to Google, Apple, Amazon or the freaking NSA?

A device that will almost inevitably create the thought police where you can be convicted on what you were thinking?

Yeah, no thanks!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A device that can read your mind, transcribe it, then send it to Google, Apple, Amazon or the freaking NSA?

A device that will almost inevitably create the thought police where you can be convicted on what you were thinking?

Yeah, no thanks!
Please don't use the Internet anymore.

Reactions: harlan4096

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
I was just watching a YouTube video of this exact thing, with the same guy. He was grocery shopping, and junk. I have to admit that is pretty freakin cool. The medical benefit's this thing could improve the quality of life for so many people.

I'll admit though, as I was watching the video, I was thinking of how the the tech would be abused and misused because our history has taught us so. However, like that one article that was posted awhile back about the 26 out of 115 VPNS who collected data on you, which was honestly surprisingly low.

I'll just have to have faith in my fellow human's to not abuse this for nefarious purposes

Reactions: Prorootect

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.