Advice Request Router NAT - Gamer mode?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I use this feature of my router called "Gamer mode". This is what it says:
"When activating the "Gamer" mode, you will be opening all ports in NAT mode (CONE).
Activating this feature can solve some problems related to games, however, it will reduce the protection provided by your Technicolor Gateway."

How bad do you think this is security wise? Firewall is turned On though.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Not great. I would recommend port forwarding only the necessary ports to the necessary devices.
What are the implications of having it like this? More specifically...

On my ISP's forums, they say that even with this Game Mode, port forwarding may it still be necessary for some games. Without this Game Mode that opens NAT or makes ir moderate (I don't really know), port forwarding doesn't work properly. I just use this mode without port forwarding, it's enough for my games.

I've read that IPv6 would bring an end to the NAT problems in online games. I already have native IPv6, but I'm guessing that IPv6 must be implemented for everyone, globally, to be the standard for online games?

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
What are the implications of having it like this? More specifically...

On my ISP's forums, they say that even with this Game Mode, port forwarding may it still be necessary for some games. Without this Game Mode that opens NAT or makes ir moderate (I don't really know), port forwarding doesn't work properly. I just use this mode without port forwarding, it's enough for my games.

I've read that IPv6 would bring an end to the NAT problems in online games. I already have native IPv6, but I'm guessing that IPv6 must be implemented for everyone, globally, to be the standard for online games?
Yes, IPV6 can solve NAT problems due to the number of addresses it can allocate. These are good questions. I have never worked with a system that functioned with IPV6. The gamer mode just sounds like it's enabling UPnP. Which isn't the end of the world, but less secure that disabling it. It depends on if they are keeping the UPnP service updated. If they have a manual online for the router it might be worth reading.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Yes, IPV6 can solve NAT problems due to the number of addresses it can allocate. These are good questions. I have never worked with a system that functioned with IPV6. The gamer mode just sounds like it's enabling UPnP. Which isn't the end of the world, but less secure that disabling it. It depends on if they are keeping the UPnP service updated. If they have a manual online for the router it might be worth reading.
UPnP is a separate setting, it can be enabled or disabled. What they say is that the Gamer Mode opens the doors at the NAT level. Then, we can forward them to a specific device, if necessary.
Without this mode I had matchmaking trouble in FIFA and strict NAT in Ubisoft games. This was years ago... I've been using it since then, but the most recent firmwares display that security warning.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Specifying which ports to forward may be better.

You can set up port forwarding for your router, only opening a limited scope of ports for the game, or type of games, and to the specified device.

Things to consider:
  • Learning curve
  • Time taken
  • You learn something new
Link: https://portforward.com/

Reactions: Venustus

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Specifying which ports to forward may be better.

You can set up port forwarding for your router, only opening a limited scope of ports for the game, or type of games, and to the specified device.

Things to consider:
  • Learning curve
  • Time taken
  • You learn something new
Link: https://portforward.com/
I've done that in the past.. now it hasn't been necessary anymore. But like I said, I would still need to use this gamer mode for port forwarding to work, otherwise even after port forwarding, doors would still be closed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Security will always be "weaker", but if you care about performance, then you should use the QoS / Port forwarding methods.

Enabling the DMZ would be worse...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It is safe for most home users. What type of device are you port forwarding towards?

Link 1
Using port forwarding is somewhat analogous to installing a pet door in your home. You're punching a whole in your door (firewall) for a very specific purpose, but there's a lot more cats/dogs/various-other-species out there than just your own, and they're all interested in seeing what's behind the door.

Link 2
Your computer is safe from external threats while port forwarding if you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, or 10. Why do you ask? They have in-built firewalls for safe port forwarding.

Below, we will answer which devices are safe for port forwarding.
  • Xbox: Safe
  • PlayStation: Safe
  • Computer: Safe but low risk of threats. Hackers and ISPs can intrude on your computer too if you are opening ports and allowing external devices to connect.
  • Security Camera: Safe but low risk of threats. Hackers can also penetrate your security camera in this way because you are opening ports.

Sources: Google/Bing
Link 1: What Are The Risks Of Port Forwarding?
Link 2: Is Port Forwarding Safe? A Detailed Guide for Gamers and Internet Users
Link 3: Is Portforwarding Safe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.