Run FFXIV in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 24, 2014
Was not sure where to post this but as its to do with a game i guess i made the right choice. But im reading this page http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28853 because i want to get a game to work on Linux but someone said to load VM just to patch the game does that mean i have to install the game in VM aswell as the main system or do you folder share and patch in the VM im kinda lost :oops:

D

Deleted member 178

better use a VM (Virtual Box ) , you install any Windows in it then install your game as you did in your REAL Windows ;)

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 24, 2014
So play the game thought VM? dont think that would work as ya need good specs for the game and my pc aint to great.

D

Deleted member 178

i can't help you much with Wine since i don't use it at all

someone said to load VM just to patch the game does that mean i have to install the game in VM aswell as the main system or do you folder share and patch in the VM im kinda lost :oops:

from what i read, you must have it also in a Windows environment (either dual-boot or VM) to copy-paste the patched files in your main system.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Yep you need a good PC to use VM, especially since you want it to play the game on windows.
With Wine you can run many program that windows based, but not every programs, especially games, last time I try it to play Perfect World International ( an MMORP Game) yes it can run through wine but buggy, some icon and NPC in the game wasn't displayed correctly due to missing directx, so I'm not sure whether you can play FFXIV on Linux through Wine or not, I'm sorry >.<

Reactions: Koroke San

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Why not give wine a try before dual-booting?

from what i read, you must have it also in a Windows environment (either dual-boot or VM) to copy-paste the patched files in your main system.

I believe you can have access to the Windows system files of the Wine emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.