RuneScape phishing steals accounts and in-game item bank PINs

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Cybersecurity researchers have discovered a new RuneScape-themed phishing campaign, and it stands out among the various operations for being exceptionally well-crafted.
RuneScape is a free online MMORPG game first released two decades ago but continues to be popular in the gaming community and enjoyed by millions of players.

Its "Old School" edition has seen a steady increase of active players for many years now and a massive spike in 2019 when the developers released a mobile version.
The latest phishing campaign, spotted by Malwarebytes, attempts to target players of both the Old School and the standard (RuneScape 3) editions via a fake email change notice.

It starts with an email​

The initial email pretends to come from Jagex support, the developer and publisher of the RuneScape series, informing the recipient of a successful email change for both editions.
The message claims that all login details remain unchanged, but the registered email address for all future password resets has changed to a bogus address.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Just never follow email links, go to site manually to see whats wrong with the account instead...

I have played this game for like 19 years and the game is full of toxic people, abusing eachothers and phishing/ luring / scamming for virtual money they can sell online. but playing solo its tons of fun if you dont mind about people around you

Infinityx

Level 1
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
I've been playing Runescape since 2005 and I've never been hacked. Never click/use any links from an email period. Especially when it comes to gaming accounts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.