Battle Sandboxie VS Geswall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohitpatel09

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I want to know which is the member's choice and which is better?

I like Sandboxie because I have only used Sandboxie.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Geswall isnt really a sandbox, its a HIPS based program.Sandboxie is a more like VmWare/VirtualPC except lighter.I use SBIE because it is light and runs great on my PC and I believe it offers superior protection.It is run by it's author who is very approachable.

Both are good programs Geswall is kind of similar to Defense Wall and is really easy to use.I guess you could say SBIE cant be run out of the box so to speak.

Personally I think you cant really compare the 2 because they are basically different applications

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would advise not to use the product. GeSWall appears to be dead, no development, progress or updates since 2009.

Edit : After searching on Wilders, I bumped into these topics -
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=303817
http://www.scmagazineuk.com/beyondtrust-acquires-gentlesecurity-to-incorporate-dlp-into-product-line/article/208810/

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
In a way both programs are similar. Both isolate/sandbox programs and files from the real system. The difference is how they do it. Sandboxie use virtualization for the most part and GessWall achieves it by implementing policy restrictions.

I never tried GesWall but I dont doubt that is a great program. Unfortunately it has not been update it in a long time. Thats probably not so bad for XP but for W7 or W8 is a different story.

Sandboxie is my choice because that's what I use for security. Since I don't use anything else, not even a on demand scanner and dont get infected, I know it works. Is easy for me to recommend it.

This are the reasons why I recommend SBIE over GesWall.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sandboxie is simply the best in its category. It is more easy to learn how to use it and configure it compared to other sandbox applications.

However I wished another solution would come along and give Sandboxie some competition.

BeyondTrust acquired GentleSecurity back in August 2011 and still no word about what will happen to Geswall.

Thanks.:D

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I voted for GeSWall, based on my interpretation of the two products at a time where they were both still being developed.
Were it still being updated, I would use it to this day.
It was both easy to use and easy to master, and gave a peace of mind quite unlike what may be experienced with products existing today.
Unfortunately, development for this product appears to have ceased indefinitely, with the consequence that it may no longer be utilised by a modern PC.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
My vote goes to Sandboxie,
I haven't used GesWall before so I don't really know much about it. Sandboxie has worked just fine for me. I haven't had any problems with it, except that I cannot get it to work with Windows 8 :mad:

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Malware Man said:
My vote goes to Sandboxie,
I haven't had any problems with it, except that I cannot get it to work with Windows 8 :mad:

Whats the problem? SBIE should work fine now in W8 but it is likely that in version4 things will be better.

If I was you, I would post about the issue in the Sandboxie forum, maybe it is a known issue and it has a solution. If the problem is unknown, you would be informing Tzuk about it and maybe he can do do something to address it. Posting over there would benefit you and Sandboxie.

Bo

coranti malware

Verified
Feb 3, 2013
better off with Sandboxie , Geswall will not give the same protection as Sandboxie, and Sandboxie lighter on the system plus Geswall is not really supported in the way Sandboxie is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.