Save the date: Opera’s R2 launch event is coming on Apr 25, 10 AM CET

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

As you might have noticed, we announced our R2 event some time ago without revealing too many details. Now we are starting the countdown and coming to you with a date.

We will be hosting our big live launch event online on Wednesday, April 25, 10 AM CET at www.opera.com/r2 . Make sure to tune in. We realize life can get busy, so if you sign up on our website, we will send you a reminder just before the event. You can also follow our product manager Maciej Kocemba on Product Hunt and join our Facebook event for the R2 launch. Once the event is over, we will also be hosting a Q&A session.

But what is R2?

We can’t tell you yet – just a few more days to go! Let me just say that this is just the codename of our event, not the actual name of the product. We have been crazy busy at work and are really excited to be able to share the details at our big launch soon and to get your feedback right after.

By the way: this is the great team that worked on this new thing we’re launching. You’ll soon find out more about their exact roles on this project.

See you at the event!

Source: Opera's live R2 launch event is coming on April 25, 2018 - save the date

Last edited by a moderator:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I guess, like most people, it will be the reborn 2.0.
The other thing it might be is that it is the successor of M2 as the mail client was called in Opera Presto, but I think it will be very unlikely if it would be this.
Or maybe still something else? Who knows?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's the same team that did Neon and all that " neon " color in the images sort of makes me wonder but it's just one day away now.
Neon was very desktop/mobile UI-like. Hopefully they don't follow that route further, but we'll find out soon enough.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
People only think about of appearance and remote services features , but opera should give us an browser built from 0x0 totally hardened and super fast. that's all the necessary. no more.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Opera Touch a browser for Android and yeah that looks pretty similar Neon.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
What a disappointing release in my opinion. I thought we would get something more special and innovating in terms of design or functionality like in the Presto days.
Again a new browser for mobile. Other than that flow thing, it doesn't have a single feature. They better had included this flow thing in their regular mobile browser they already have. If they can do it in their desktop browser, why not in their mobile browser? I don't see the need of another browser. They made Opera Coast in the past, a similar design browser, but they abandoned it. I doubt Flow browser will have a long life either. On top of that Opera flow isn't even available for Iphone yet.
Other than that the search feature they have introduced on desktop is the same as the f2 button quick commands in Vivaldi. But the difference is that in Vivaldi you can select any search engine you want in that search box, that you don't need a separate key combination to search in tabs and that you can customize the keyboard shortcuts as well. Good idea, but no innovation and still lot's of work to make this more usable.

Reactions: ZeroDay and upnorth

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Completely disappointing. If Opera think this is exciting news I don't see their future being very bright.

Reactions: kev216

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I've used it for about a month, but not anymore now. It's very different than the usual brower on a phone. It is handy if you are only using one hand. It takes some time to get used to it, but once you get it, it's a good browser. Especially if you like to switch between phone and pc a lot, the flow feature is really good. Another new thing is that it automatically starts with a search bar, instead of a speed dial.
However, it doesn't have much features and it is still not the same as the regular Opera for Android.
It's available for IOS too now, but other than that it doesn't have really fast development in terms of new functionalities.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.