Scammers sell Red Mercury as COVID cure; scam

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The mysterious material has been around for decades, supposedly used in Soviet Russia to create nuclear explosives. Now, the chemical is being touted as a cure for coronavirus.

There’s just one problem: red mercury doesn’t actually exist.

As the pandemic continues, many quack cures have been hailed as miracle “treatments” for coronavirus – most notably Donald Trump’s touting of an unproven anti-malarial drug. Sadly, red mercury – a hoax medicine condemned by countless experts – seems in-keeping with the anti-science conspiracy theories that have gained ground during the political uncertainty of recent years.

Martin, 34, from West Sussex was almost stung by a red mercury scam that claimed to offer protection from coronavirus.

“My friend showed me a company on social media who claimed to be selling a special product which they claimed protects your home from COVID-19,” he says. “They’d posted videos of their products being used in different customers’ homes. But these looked bogus, I could tell they were all taken in the same house.”
Source(s):
1. Scammers Are Touting Dangerous ‘Red Mercury’ as a Cure for COVID
2. 'Red mercury': Why does this strange myth persist?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Nuh, you are supposed to drink thousands of years old liquefied mummy remains, the older the better. Note amateurs only consume mummy powder, that is for kids.

The mixture has managed to retain those organs for centuries, so this myth is sort of scientifically based, but adrenochrome is a more popular alternative these days.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.