Battle Searching for Portable Linux

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi,

I'm trying to get myself an alternative Linux solution for travel use mainly especially in countries where computers are not that modern (u know those 1GB, win XP version type of PC).

Wondering which would be more preferable for travel use. The OS will be running in CD-RW or USB-drive.

H

hjlbx

Use the most simple, primitive solution you can get away with.

If too ancient system + messed up hardware, even Puppy Linux might not work...

D

Deleted member 178

i would go Kubuntu

• Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM): heaviest than other distros but decent for daily usage
  • Real World System Impact: average
  • User Friendliness: easy
  • User Interface: very customizable

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I prefer lubuntu (low resource demand, user friendly and out of the box) :) or if you are heavy windows user, you can try zorin lite which is based on lubuntu.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Use the most simple, primitive solution you can get away with.

If too ancient system + messed up hardware, even Puppy Linux might not work...

Hi @hjlbx ,
I'm also taking into account of using the old computer system.
I will be travelling away to rural areas where technology is the limited. Hence, was trying to get some USB on-the-go OS for me to fly around.

PS: Maybe I should should just get Raspberry Pi. o_O

H

hjlbx

Hi @hjlbx ,
I'm also taking into account of using the old computer system.
I will be travelling away to rural areas where technology is the limited. Hence, was trying to get some USB on-the-go OS for me to fly around.

PS: Maybe I should should just get Raspberry Pi. o_O

If you are going to remote locations - and not knowing what you will have to contend with - then I would not rely upon just one.

I would pick two or three and take each of them with you.

In such a case it would be best to be prepared with at least a few options as opposed to being dependent completely upon only one.

If that single solution does not work you are ...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Portable?
you have mainly 3 picks:
Puppy (several flavours to choose from) - I am not a fan of it tho
Porteus - decent enough
alphaOS - My favourite for portable but its based on Arch Linux (link here)

Reactions: Ink

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For my experience, I will go for Puppy Linux cause its been designed for modern and low-end system without any problems. *

But you are not close for other options cause sometimes they have good features that provided.

* Usually drivers may become an issue for some Linux derivatives so which why highly to conduct an immediate research when issue occur.

Reactions: Ink

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
I would strongly recommend you to use Porteus, This OS is designed to run on USBs for low end systems. Low memory usage, low size, low cpu usage.

You can configure your own Porteus operating system directly from the page below.
You will have nothing to download to configure it.
My configured Porteus OS is only 228 megabytes. :D

Porteus Wizard

XavierGaming

Level 3
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
I've compared alphaOS and Porteus in a vitual machine. So far, Porteus ran better with almost no lag. On the other hand, alphaOS was a bit sluggish even with higher specs than the Porteus machine.

rodocop

Level 1
Verified
Jun 12, 2015
AlphaOS is good and smooth but still has some glitches (non-working menu items etc.)
Porteus is great but has comparatively numerous hardware compatibility issues.
Puppy Linux is the most mature portable system with a number of derivatives (actually custom builds) named 'puplets' including relatively popular by themselves MacPup or Simplicity Linux.
Puppy is the best option to one looking for portable Linux alongside with Windows for testing and learning linux-stuff when considering future migration or full-time dual-boot. Puppy can be easy installed under Windows as application (there are exe-installers for a number of puplets across the Web).

Also we should mention Slax, Slitaz, TinyCore when speaking about portable distros. Russian market has one more option named PRA or PuppyrusA: hybride of Puppy Linux and Porteus, based on Arch package-system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.