Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
Security App of the Week: Bitdefender Anti-CryptoLocker
SHARE:

Adjust text size:
news_textminus2.png
news_textplus2.png

- Bitdefender Anti-CryptoLocker
CryptoLocker is highly problematic these days. The threat is designed to encrypt certain files found on infected computers and keep them that way until the user agrees to pay a ransom that can be as high as a couple of thousands of dollars.
Currently, there’s no way of recovering encrypted files if you don’t have backups or system restore points. That’s why the best way to protect yourself against CryptoLocker is by taking a proactive approach.

Bitdefender’s Anti-CryptoLocker can protect your files by blocking the malware from accessing its command and control (C&C) servers. Since the ransomware can no longer retrieve the public key from the server, it can’t encrypt files.

The tool is easy to use and configure. It can be set to run when Windows starts, so you don’t have to worry about keeping an eye on it.

You can download Bitdefender Anti-CryptoLocker from Softpedia.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Security-App-of-the-Week-Bitdefender-Anti-CryptoLocker-405296.shtml

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for the share. Seems to be a lot of cryptolocker apps out there these days.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
This is a portable program, it is not installed in the system

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
It got installed to Program Files folder here. If it's portable, it should be in the root or a "Bitdefender Anti-Cryptolocker" folder... or maybe they want it to be placed in Program Files, in which case it should be properly installed methinks. Thank you for replying!

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Outlet-establish with tracking, for example using the Revo Uninstaller

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
As I understand it, the default is no interference in the registry, you can just delete the folder

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Bitdefender Anti-CryptoLocker doesn't have a very good user rating on Softpedia only 2.6 out of 5.0 which is just a fair user rating.
I wonder why Softpedia chose it to be the
Security App of the Week? Maybe BitDefender paid them.
According to users on other sites, this product is very buggy.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Most BD products are buggy. Didn't Hitman pro release a similar tool?

Edit: CIS would take care of this anyway. So if you have CIS installed I wouldn't bother.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I tried it, but it made all files unmovable to the defragger. Plus the installer is odd, it runs silently and suddenly you have an unregistered program running from Program Files. Not recommended at all. "Maybe" Bitdefender paid for the favorable review? Well, I don't know what else makes sense, but it is odd; there isn't even a Bitdefender page about it, all I could find was this.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
This program may be ok with strains of cryptolockers which are known as of today but crypto malware is malware none the less and this program is completely useless because it is only protecting against one form of malware.

I cant really see a portable app like this as being of any use what so ever unless its installed on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.