Security options for smartphones

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
using avast , no issues so far , and it has options for rooted phones like mine (real firewall, anti-theft, etc...)

Sounds promising :) I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

Since AV programs are run from the background process, therefore battery consumption should observe (usually minimal percentage); we all know that Android OS isn't totally optimize to handle the battery unless the manufacturer like ASUS can handle the battery saver very well.

Thanks for explaining that. Guess I'll just have to check it out and see how it affects the phone. x)

hello..
3. i dont think they're necessary. if you know what you're doing with your (android) smartphone you should be safe
4. i dont use anti virus/malware, i have adguard for android, but mainly for the ad-block (which i think it's better approach than using hosts block)
5. i think malware in android is easier to recognize, download apps/apks from respectable source (playstore, f-droid, etc) or other websites, read the reviews, comments, etc. and watch suspicious links that come from unknown source (usually text messages). that's all, you should be safe.

i dont think antivirus for PC (windows) can detect malicious apks (yet), cmiiw though. or you install the apks in android emulator first to test it?

Thanks for the answers. I agree that usually if you don't do ##### you should generally be safe.

I don't know though about testing apps on a PC. Somebody else might have to answer that.

It's completely depends on you. What kind of protection you want?

There are mainly three types of protection

1. Malware protection
-- If you are on a rooted phone then you really need to put some protection and be 100% careful before giving super user permission to any apps.
-- If your phone is not rooted then do not provide administrative permission to any App.
-- Download software from PlayStore only.

2. Privacy Protection
-- This is the most important protection required on the smartphone. Your desktop might have limited information, but your smartphone includes the phone numbers / sms/ call logs everything. So be careful before installing any apps and when installing check the permission it's asking for.

3. Network protection
-- If you are on rooted phone, use IP Filter based Firewalls to monitor Network Traffic.
-- If your phone is not rooted use VPN based Firewall to monitor traffic.

For Rooted phone I personally suggest -- Avast Free Antivirus ( Malware Protection, Web Protection, Firewall all are there)
For unrooted phone -- 360 Antivirus + No Root Firewall.

A bit an off-topic question. What does rooting your phone change / what kind of additional options do you get? Have never done this (haven't had an android before either).

Otherwise thanks for the insightful answers :)

Cheers and thanks again at all

T3chnopsycho

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
L

LabZero

A bit an off-topic question. What does rooting your phone change / what kind of additional options do you get?

The root is a process derived from Linux and also applied on Android to obtain superuser rights, and have unlimited access to the system and the right to modify it to your liking.

The root process goes through the installation of a new kernel system. The kernel is the core of the operating system, the software that organizes processes on a smartphone.

Root permissions allow you to communicate in advanced mode and install new apps otherwise inaccessible or uninstall those pre-installed by the manufacturer. Nothing prevents, however, such malicious applications to act negatively on your system, damaging the device or, worse, jeopardising your privacy. Fortunately you can choose whether or not to allow such an application to obtain root permissions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
A bit an off-topic question. What does rooting your phone change / what kind of additional options do you get? Have never done this (haven't had an android before either).
T3chnopsycho

@Klipsh already answered your question.

The core of Android is unix and for Unix root means giving maximum level of access. It's comparable to a administrator user in Windows. By default Android phone does not have root access and the changes you do are limited to current user only. Root is for advanced user and using root permission you can gain more control over your phone they way you like it.

But problem it with maximum power comes the maximum responsibility. If some malicious app can gain such access it can even brick your device.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I thought I replied to this thread...must be another one like it.

I'm currently using ESET since I got a 2-year giveaway; I like it a little better than Avast, which I also like and will likely go back to it when ESET expires.

I installed Malwarebytes yesterday to see how it does...probably overkill though.

I also use Belarc Security Advisor (free, on-demand security check for Windows and Android), installed the three apps that had vulnerabilities (including a banking one that I never used anyway).

Above all, though, is Xprivacy.

"A cold day..." when I don't have root/admin rights on my own devices.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
For IOS devices I would recommend OpenDNS Umbrella Prosumer, for anything else no comment :p

D

Deleted member 2913

2) Yes bunch of Antivirus from A-Z; here's a little test reference done by the AV-Test.org

Emsisoft doesn't participate in the above test? I dont see Emsisoft there.
Given its excellent protection & light on laptop I want thinking of Emsi on mobile. So went to the above site to check about Emsi but not there.

How is Emsi on mobile, protection, light, etc..?
Anyone running Emsi share your experience plzz.

Matthews

Jul 10, 2015
1. How does malware protection currently work for smartphones?
Answer: Yes

2) Are there any security, anti virus / anti malware softwares (apps?) available for smartphones.
Answer: Comodo Mobile Security for your smartphones security & Anti-theft.

3) Are these even necessary?
Answer: Now a days Smartphones must be using online shopping, netbanking, browsing & Play Games. These are the way of virus attacks, so must be required.

4) What is your personal opinion on malware on smartphones? Do you view it as a threat that needs to be watched or are you unconcerned.
Answer: I am using Comodo Updated Mobile Security App for virus protection & anti-theft purpose. Download from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comodo.cisme.antivirus

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The fact Smartphone users have a large number of mobile security options does my heart good!!:):) Because I happen to be among the few whom still use an "un-smart phone", I had not concerned myself with their availability/choices before recently entering the familiar online world via our newest addition: A tablet with android KitKat.
I've found the recommendations & info on this thread very useful indeed. Thanks all!:D

On the topic of mobile security, I've installed CM (clean master) "Cheetah" browser. With a built in Adblocker & AV, I've found to be an absolute joy particularly for it's responsiveness & speed!!:):) "Night mode is similar to our "Dark theme" here.:cool:;)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ksmobile.cb

Reactions: LabZero

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I assume it still does it but I didn't like Clean Master running all the time. Unless you're really pressed for space, I don't think cleaning is necessary.

I do, however, about monthly, clean the cache partition and Dalvik cache via custom recovery (TWRP). This keeps any hinkiness from happening (app updates get out of synch w/Dalvik) and avoids having to do a factory data reset to fix a simple issue.

If you install AdAway (easiest way is to install F-Droid, then install AdAway from F-Droid), you won't see ads on anything anywhere at any time.

A valuable resource is xda-developers forum; if you want to know how much you can customise your Android and how to do it, that's the place to be.

Which tablet did you get?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I assume it still does it but I didn't like Clean Master running all the time. Unless you're really pressed for space, I don't think cleaning is necessary.

I do, however, about monthly, clean the cache partition and Dalvik cache via custom recovery (TWRP). This keeps any hinkiness from happening (app updates get out of synch w/Dalvik) and avoids having to do a factory data reset to fix a simple issue.

If you install AdAway (easiest way is to install F-Droid, then install AdAway from F-Droid), you won't see ads on anything anywhere at any time.

A valuable resource is xda-developers forum; if you want to know how much you can customise your Android and how to do it, that's the place to be.

Which tablet did you get?
It's called Dragon Touch AIX-Plus Quad Core 1.3 GHz w/4.4 Kitkat.
Are we doing tablet security configurations yet?:rolleyes:
As far as I know, the CM browser doesn't seem to be running constantly ("Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."o_O).
From reviews I've read, there have been a number of refinements. Take it for a spin!:):)

Adaway & xda-developers, check! Thanks @Rolo!:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.