Advice Request Security replacement – good enough?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

pelleibu

Thread author
Mar 9, 2020
One year ago I received a ransomware from a sender who captured my mail address and password which caused several ransom letters time after time. Heard that LinkedIn and Adobe were hijacked some years ago and it’s thinkable the leak came from there.

I consulted a company to clean up my mac and at the same time they installed a security program I never heard of before. The company had developed it and is very effective, it scans urls and mail adresses every time they are used. The downside is that the computor becomes slow at startup – but I can stand it, I’m an old man. Each day’s scan can be viewed in a compilation which feels good, some ugly customers have been caught. A subscription for half a year costs $335, a heavy amount for a pensioner.

Now to my question, can Norton be an equal competitive to my current one? At least good enough to protect my mac? Norton is well-reputed and I used it twenty-five years ago.

I realize that an option would be to change my e-mail address, but I won’t get rid of my domain name.

• Wow
Reactions: DDE_Server and plat
B

BVLon

One year ago I received a ransomware from a sender who captured my mail address and password which caused several ransom letters time after time. Heard that LinkedIn and Adobe were hijacked some years ago and it’s thinkable the leak came from there.

I consulted a company to clean up my mac and at the same time they installed a security program I never heard of before. The company had developed it and is very effective, it scans urls and mail adresses every time they are used. The downside is that the computor becomes slow at startup – but I can stand it, I’m an old man. Each day’s scan can be viewed in a compilation which feels good, some ugly customers have been caught. A subscription for half a year costs $335, a heavy amount for a pensioner.

Now to my question, can Norton be an equal competitive to my current one? At least good enough to protect my mac? Norton is well-reputed and I used it twenty-five years ago.

I realize that an option would be to change my e-mail address, but I won’t get rid of my domain name.
I'm afraid you have been a victim of scam. No company sells AV software for $335 for 6 months/1PC. Not in this day and age when Kaspersky and Bitdefender offer free ptotection and McAfee costs $10.00 in some retail stores. Norton and Kaspersky are what every independent test lab considers best, together with Bitdefender.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I'm afraid you have been a victim of scam. No company sells AV software for $335 for 6 months/1PC. Not in this day and age when Kaspersky and Bitdefender offer free ptotection and McAfee costs $10.00 in some retail stores. Norton and Kaspersky are what every independent test lab considers best, together with Bitdefender.

I agree with @BVLon .

Anyway, Norton, kaspersky or bitdfender would suit your needs.
But considering your past, i highly recommend a password manager and to change your e-mails password every 6 months. I recomend LastPass or Bitwarden.
2 factor authentication would be a nice idea too.

There are a few services that advise you if your password have been breached in any hacker invasions. Last time i checked, bitdefender supported it on android...

B

BVLon

As you’ve already been extorted enough, I am happy to share a McAfee LiveSafe license for unlimited devices till 2028, worth $79.00 a year. McAfee offers great protection against bad websites.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.