Security Setup for a friend?

SlimShady

Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2013
I have a friend whose PC I built similar to mine. Although unlike me, he isn't a fan of 8 so he's using Windows 7. I have his browser nice and set up but he wants to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 mainly because he still has 6 Months left for it.

Here's his rig:

AMD A4-5300 (Dual-core) 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz Turbo
Kingston 2GB DDR3 DIMM RAM (2 sticks)

If possible, can you guys also tell me the amount of boot time added and the overall negative impact of KIS.

Diurpaneus

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
SlimShady said:
I have a friend whose PC I built similar to mine. Although unlike me, he isn't a fan of 8 so he's using Windows 7. I have his browser nice and set up but he wants to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 mainly because he still has 6 Months left for it.

Here's his rig:

AMD A4-5300 (Dual-core) 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz Turbo
Kingston 2GB DDR3 DIMM RAM (2 sticks)

If possible, can you guys also tell me the amount of boot time added and the overall negative impact of KIS.

The amount of boot time added by KIS is 30-40 seconds,the memory consumption is 200-400 mb on idle and in full scan 300-500 mb,if you use mozilla the addons virtual keyboard,url advisor,safe money will not work.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
All I wanted to say that KIS could generally add a bit gap from slowdowns due to its components installed now the thing here is to made a custom installation for unnecessary needs if possible for your friend.

SlimShady

Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2013
The reason why he stayed with KIS was there was a huge stream of viruses that came through their network back in like 2005 or something. All the other PCs were running at the time latest versions Avast except for him who was running KIS. The PCs of his brothers all died and had to be formatted while his PC stayed nice and clean. Also, he does a lot of online shopping and mostly get PC parts/peripherals and clothes so Kaspersky really suites his needs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.