Security software for 64bit Win7

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
i have windows 7 64 installed, i used it rarely though, i use mainly windows XP. Please read my configuration in the Signature

BTW, my Bitdefender IS 2013 64bit license is expiring in 10days, and i need a alternative security software..... i heard previously there are very few 64bit security softwares available in market....
anyone can suggest anything?? Free softwares preferred with links...

i only know Outpost Free has 64bit security 4 Free, if any other options available please let me know.

Thanx

D

Deleted member 178

X64 native : Comodo, Webroot SA, Avast and some others, i didn't test all of them
x64 compatible: almost all the rest

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^what is the difference between native and compatible software?
info will be very helpful....

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I might be wrong but, Native 64-bit are 'ProcessName.exe' and Compatible 64-bit are 'ProcessName.exe *32', on a Windows 64-bit OS.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
On a 64-bit OS Windows installs your programs to these folders on your system drive:

'\Program Files' for 64-bit programs

'\Program Files (x86)' for 32-bit programs

In Task Manager, 32-bit processes will usually have a suffix of '*32' and 64-bit processes will not.As Earth posted above.But this cant be relied upon because 64 bit installers usually install 64-bit applications or a mixture of 32- and 64-bit components but can even install only 32-bit components.

Native would be in the '\Program Files' and Compatible in the '\Program Files (x86)'

Compatible examples would be KIS,Avira and Native would be ESET as they have both 32 bit and 64 bit Installers based on your OS

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ZeroDay said:
I'd go with Comodo.

Yes Comodo is very good.If you would like to try Avira Internet Security 2013,I can send you a 6 month license

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Almost all security software are 64-bit compatible, only a very few have 64-bit native support. Most will still run processes, threads, handles, services, etc. under 32-bit.

Just because you have 64-bit Windows doesn't mean you have limited options.

Thanks.:D

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
thanx to all for explaining about Native and Compatible software.....

i googled for native software, and found that only ESET, AVG, Outpost Free, Bitdefender, Norton supports.....
i am thinking to try ESET or Norton, i have Norton 6 months trial license, but i prefer ESET than Norton :| , tried Norton 2 days ago and not satisfied enough - specially scanning speed is horrible :(

@WhiteNobster
i am looking for ESET trial key, if i dont find one, i think then i have to go with Avira, i have a 6 month key also, BTW, thanx for asking for a key :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Other things you need to consider before choosing to go with native 64-bit security software.

1. Some 64-bit compatible software may still have better performance on your system than what 64-bit native software will have. For my own personal experience, I never experienced better performance running 64-bit native security software.

2. There really isn't much security benefits since 64-bit native malware is non-existent. I never seen any malware with 64-bit native support.

Enjoy!!:D

D

Deleted member 178

Seems that comodo is the best native solutions if you trust test labs

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
First of all thank you Tapoo for starting this thread and Umbra Corp, Earth, White Nobster & Littlebits for the replies from which I learnt something new i.e the term "native". :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.