Security software most close to Windows 8 Defender/MSE

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Many of us here know that Windows 8 Defender and MSE are the most trouble free antivirus applications in matters of bugginess, resource usage, user interaction, false positives, integration with the system etc.
Who you believe are the most close players in the AV industry in these fields?

I personally believe that ESET products are closer than any others.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
There's nothing that has both excellent protection, excellent prevention, excellent detection, excellent user interface, performance, and few to no bugs.
There's kind of a tradeoff:

1. Pros= Performance, Bugs, and UI ; Cons=Detection, Prevention, Protection
2. Pros= Detection, Prevention, Protection; Cons=UI, bugs, Performance
3. Pros= Nothing; Cons= Everything
4. Pros= Detection, Prevention, Protection, bugs; Cons= Performance, UI
5. Not the best at anything, but not the worst either

And so on. MSE would fit into the 1st category, ESET would fit into the 5th

Reactions: WinXPert

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I did not want to mention protection abilities, I was talking about a trouble free product. Of course you cannot find an all in one product.
My points are:
Performance
UI
bugs
User interaction needed

And I take for granted a standard level of protection abilities as MSE can provide.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I did not want to mention protection abilities, I was talking about a trouble free product. Of course you cannot find an all in one product.
My points are:
Performance
UI
bugs
User interaction needed

And I take for granted a standard level of protection abilities as MSE can provide.
Oops, misunderstood :oops:

ESET with Interactive Mode On would be the best thing according to your points
ESET with default settings would be closest to MSE

You're providing different points, MSE doesn't have any user interaction, yet you put it as a point.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Oops, misunderstood :oops:

ESET with Interactive Mode On would be the best thing according to your points
ESET with default settings would be closest to MSE

You're providing different points, MSE doesn't have any user interaction, yet you put it as a point.
I mean little to no interaction :)
Interactive mode will cause prompts and user decisions.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
My points are:
Performance
UI
bugs
User interaction needed

Hello Nikos751. I am a satisfied user whom endorses MSE which has an impeccable track record on our Windows 7 system, and also espouse the carefree (maintenance free) joys of Defender on 8.1.;) From all that I've taken in on this subject here on MT, I would choose ESET NOD32. Firewalls are nothing to sneeze at either, and Windows Firewall (similar to your requirements for an AV) does it's job with nary a hiccup.:D Back on topic, are you considering replacement, or are you as satisfied a native AV user as myself?o_O I've thought that most additional user interaction to be OS choices, and from there our choice of browsers and their extensions; and (of course) the all encompassing (& elusive) common sense which is not all that elusive since we can read so many wise factoids here on the forums.:p BTW, would you consider replacing MSE/or Defender, even temporarily, and trying ESET?o_O :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello Nikos751. I am a satisfied user whom endorses MSE which has an impeccable track record on our Windows 7 system, and also espouse the carefree (maintenance free) joys of Defender on 8.1.;) From all that I've taken in on this subject here on MT, I would choose ESET NOD32. Firewalls are nothing to sneeze at either, and Windows Firewall (similar to your requirements for an AV) does it's job with nary a hiccup.:D Back on topic, are you considering replacement, or are you as satisfied a native AV user as myself?o_O I've thought that most additional user interaction to be OS choices, and from there our choice of browsers and their extensions; and (of course) the all encompassing (& elusive) common sense which is not all that elusive since we can read so many wise factoids here on the forums.:p BTW, would you consider replacing MSE/or Defender, even temporarily, and trying ESET?o_O :D
I ve used both Eset and MSE and Windows Defender (Win 8). I can be ok with all of them as I can configure the system to be more secure and use browser addons and MCShield for example.
I asked just to know and discuss what others here have to say :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.