Serious Copyright Infringers Face Up to Six Years in Prison Under New Swedish Law

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A draft law in Sweden envisions much tougher penalties for serious copyright infringement. Under current rules, sentences carry fines and/or prison terms up to a maximum of two years. Under the new proposals, serious copyright-related crimes would be treated more harshly, with prison sentences starting at six months and going all the way to a maximum of six years.

For more than a decade, rightsholders and anti-piracy groups in Sweden have criticized the scale of the penalties available for courts to hand down in cases of serious copyright infringement. Perhaps the most famous case, involving the people behind The Pirate Bay, ended with defendants Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij and Carl Lundström originally receiving eight, ten and four months in prison. As things stand the absolute maximum sentence is two years. The government now wants to challenge the status quo with changes to the law that will see the most egregious infringers jailed for much longer.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Time to raise the anchor and sail away.

2711d15178c63c5a02d3e52a94a348f2.jpg

I have done it a long time ago. I buy DVDs as a licence, copy DVD without menus and ADs and backup it to the cloud. Online streaming services are unreliable, they can remove content at any time, not to mention prices. I bought original Die Hard Quadrology DVD for 2€, including postage. :)

Attachments

• capture_03152020_125914.jpg
    capture_03152020_125914.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 147

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I rip DVD's & CD's over the years CD's to HQ FLAC - DVD's to a reasonable resolution, works well. I use Spotify but on there albums you love disappear in a flash of light with no explanation. In the UK ripping music (even if you have the physical media) was illegal, then was OK then now not legal, I wonder if those who make this prehistoric rules have ever visited the planet Earth?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.