Advice Request Setting backups for space efficiency

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Hi all, so I was just wondering the settings you set for your backups? I use AOMEI backupper free, setting up file sync so that I can have access to each file individually without having to use an image to restore everything. But recently I realized that there are a lot of old files in my sync that have been originally been deleted on my PC but because they are part of old syncs they stay there, hence bulking up the sync folder.

My question to you is how do you recommend efficiently setting you backup for space efficiency and easy access?

I know deleting and re-syncing my sync is another option but also increases the time taken for the sync.

Reactions: Svoll and SHvFl

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Not sure with AOMEI, but with Macrium Free you can be efficient by incrementally backing up daily and doing a full backup weekly.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Not sure with AOMEI, but with Macrium Free you can be efficient by incrementally backing up daily and doing a full backup weekly.
If I'm not working incremental backups backup changes made to the folder but do not remove the file if the file has originally been deleted right? I think AOMEI does the same thing as well

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I use SynkBack free for file syncronisation in "Mirror" mode. It shows which files will be deleted from the backup and copied to it. So I have to check it first then make this mirroring.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I use SynkBack free for file syncronisation in "Mirror" mode. It shows which files will be deleted from the backup and copied to it. So I have to check it first then make this mirroring.
thanks for the recommendation, does it create image files or copy the files directly into the drive?

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Sorry, I don't know what is image files. But for sure it copies files directly into the drive. So you can take these files from this drive without SynkBack - with just explorer, for example.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Sorry, I don't know what is image files. But for sure it copies files directly into the drive. So you can take these files from this drive without SynkBack - with just explorer, for example.
ah I see that's what I meant, thanks so much for the help, definitely will check out SyncBack for my backups in the future!

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
thanks for the recommendation, does it create image files or copy the files directly into the drive?
If you create an image of the drive with Macrium reflect you can mount it like you do with an iso and check all files.

Reactions: Svoll and frogboy

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

I find that works the best for me also in regards to saving HDD space... Monday, Full backup (Image) Tues-Sat incremental daily backups, then Monday do a Full Backup and delete all incremental backups , rinse and repeat. I made the mistake once of keep 15 incremental backs up, and had to put all 15 of those on my usb drive in order to restore =/

I found an easier way now, VM 90% of the time, save filebackups to external drive and cloud, on patch tuesday, unload VM, update patches, and Full Image Backup, and back to VM... Saves me time and HDD space..

Reactions: SHvFl
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.