App Review Shadow Defender vs TimeFreeze

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Old version (2.1.0.0) had options to protect folders on other drives.

1.jpg

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
As a recent Malwarehub sample was able to turn off Toolwiz Timefreeze it would be interesting to see how the other reboot and restore programs deal with this type of attack.

Probably a good idea to activate the floating toolbar option.At least you`ll know when something is up if it vanishes.

Can`t recal what actual sample it was.:(

Regards Eck:)

H

hjlbx

As a recent Malwarehub sample was able to turn off Toolwiz Timefreeze it would be interesting to see how the other reboot and restore programs deal with this type of attack.

Probably a good idea to activate the floating toolbar option.At least you`ll know when something is up if it vanishes.

Can`t recal what actual sample it was.:(

Regards Eck:)

When you find a malware that can disable or smash a security soft, please zip and save it - and don't lose it. Let others know so they can investigate.

Every once in a while, MalwareHub will have such capable samples.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, cruelsister, for your very illustrative comparison of both the Shadow Defender I'd graduated to & the TimeFreeze I'd moved away from. Understanding promotes confidence which are (2) very appreciated benefits inherent in your marvelous videos!:):)

Edit:
Faronics Deep Freeze? And of course not in thawed mode. :D
I've just discovered that @upnorth's avatar is also utilized (well, it's a reasonable facsimile) by Faronics for Deep Freeze!
DF-logo_banner.png
Very cool.:cool:

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
guys, but when you enter shadow mode (in SD) you don't have to tick again C and D hd? i mean : you select both, then enter shadow mode and they (as we can see in the video) have blu icon but are not selected. sorry i have it but still never used and i am getting confused. thank you sorry for bothering

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
guys, but when you enter shadow mode (in SD) you don't have to tick again C and D hd? i mean : you select both, then enter shadow mode and they (as we can see in the video) have blu icon but are not selected. sorry i have it but still never used and i am getting confused. thank you sorry for bothering
It's automatically ticked on my PC, otherwise, just (un)tick the ones you'd like to (not) protect. They untick automatically once Shadow Mode is set up (you'll be notified 'bout that).
Sometimes C: doesn't work on first time, I just click on "Enter Shadow Mode" again and then all volumes a protected (they become blue icons instead of yellow ones, also "Shadow Mode" is written in "Current Status"). You'll also see a blue writing on your desktop, in the middle on top saying "Shadow Mode" (you can deactivate that in "Administration").
To leave them, just click on "Exit All Shadow Modes" and restart / shut down.
Remember that all changes during Shadow Mode will be gone (never tried out "Commit now" as I mainly use it for testing malware).

Hope that helped :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-19_20-34-4.png
    upload_2016-4-19_20-34-4.png
    254.9 KB · Views: 507

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
For some reason Toolwiz stopped making the Paid version which did have the option to protect multiple drives. I guess going free wasn't the best idea if the resulting product is crippled.

But most users aren't playing with malware's everyday like the testers here. There's Shadow Defender for the rest. I think it was a good move :D More freeware software's. Maybe they will add multiple drive protection in the future for free version.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.