Shadow Defender

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
I wanted to know in detail about Shadow Defender and if there is any better alternative software than it.
From what i understand shadow defender = Win-patrol i.e monitors for all PC behavior + rollback type of software for restore + its creates virtual environment to prevent malwares or any suspicious attack to damage the actual PC environment.
Please give all its explanation, reviews of some latest videos if some 1 has done it or has link to it and can I use it with Emsisoft IS on Windows 8. For what soft-wares I use do see my signature.
And also provide its Facebook Page link if it exists. I searched but couldn't find any :(

D

Deleted member 178

Not at all (no behavior monitoring, no "rollback" )

Shadow Defender is a virtualization software, means when activated it will virtualize all changes made after it pass on "Shadow Mode" . the changes are put in a virtual space.

example: you activate Shadow mode, you download a soft , put the installer on the desktop, install it , play a bit with it meanwhile you are browsing internet , bookmark some pages, got a malware infection, Windows updates your system. Then you exit SD by a reboot.

All what happened after Shadow mode turned-on, disappear from your system, everything even the infection.

SD doesnt have a Facebook page yet , its development just restarted after almost 2 years of pause; the original developer "Tony" just reappeared.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
hehe I knew U would answer about it Umbra sir. U and me almost same security EIS and now shadow defender if I learn to handle it well. Please explain about shadow mode with an example of a situation like if this happens it would do this. And any alternative softwares that are better or same capabilities as Shadow defender as I want to know about it from all nasic to advanced all small points of it.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Also Y u use so much of security softwares I know u love them, me 2 but U r more of advanced user than me and others. I've read many of ur posts and think that ur knowledge is exceptional in all this. Then why use so much of security softwares as it could slow or cause some bugs as far as I think

D

Deleted member 178

i gave you an example in my edited post above, SD is for me the best one even if some softs like Wondershare TimeFreeze are similar.

whizkidraj said:
Also Y u use so much of security softwares I know u love them, me 2 but U r more of advanced user than me and others. I've read many of ur posts and think that ur knowledge is exceptional in all this. Then why use so much of security softwares as it could slow or cause some bugs as far as I think

because i just like play with them ^^

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
ok thank you sir, understood. Please can u give me some of the links on net that u usually read about all these security related and that can help me better my knowledge in it. Some internet site names / facebook pages.

D

Deleted member 178

honestly all i know is by testing security softwares on my computer and read heavily on this forum or the product support forum. :D

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
hehe nice answer. True I think I should start learning Camtasia and VM-ware and then the rest I would learn by doing and making some vidoes on security tests :p

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
whizkidraj said:
I wanted to know in detail about Shadow Defender and if there is any better alternative software than it.

Here is my review on Shadow Defender: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Shadow-Defender-an-awesome-product-with-a-poor-marketing-team

And here is an video with Shadow Defender at work:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiny

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
whizkidraj, I don't use Shadow Defender, I use Toolwiz TimeFreeze in one of my computers and Wondershare TF in the other. Never used SD, probably against malware, SD is better suited but what I am using works great.

I recommend you install any of the mentioned programs and give it a try. As you have in mind, it is a very good idea to read about the program before you use it. Search using Google, you ll find what you are looking for or you can ask questions here.

Light virtualization programs are very easy to learn and use. By reading your questions, I know they ll be easy for you. Don't be intimidated.

LV programs can be used for security reasons or for trying programs that are discarded after a reboot. I use them for trying programs only. Sandboxie takes care of my security with no need for anything else.

In case you didnt know, Toolwiz TimeFreeze does have a free version.

Bo

I

illumination

I tired Toolwiz Timefreeze, it was ok, really can not say anything bad about it as far as the free version goes, but after obtaining a license to Shadow Defender, installing it, and testing it for hours, i have fallen in love with it, and it will remain a permanent fixture on my system!

D

Deleted member 178

thewolfsmith72 said:
but after obtaining a license to Shadow Defender, installing it, and testing it for hours, i have fallen in love with it, and it will remain a permanent fixture on my system!

Shadow Defender or Sandboxie are programs that once you play with them , stick with you forever :D

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Suppose I download a software and want to keep it installed and not let shadow defender restore to previous so how to do that.
Also how to know that i got a malware infection since Emsisosft IS is there it would delete or block it and if some malwares enter my PC and EIS doesn't show any pop-ups that i got infection so will shadow defender show that like the file u installed is malware infected. We recommend to restore and reboot ur system.
I know i should apply my mind and myself learn which files might harm my PC's health and I do know about it to certain extent but there's always room for improvement and some malwares like zero day malwares if they some how failed to be blocked by both EIS and shadow If shadow shows msgs like what I've posted above then I would have no Idea what to restore since I might not be knowing which malware has just infected my PC.
:confused: :p

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Am I thinking too much and should I just try Shadow Defender myself after 1 week when my PC motherboard gets repaired and then ask something about it. What say guys :p. Grrr I tend to always get so excited and confuse sometimes when I try something new :shy:

D

Deleted member 178

whizkidraj said:
Suppose I download a software and want to keep it installed and not let shadow defender restore to previous so how to do that.

with SD you have 2 choices:

1- launch it at every boot, so everything you install will be deleted unless committed (but for that you must "commit" every files/folder of the program you wish to keep).

2- use it on-demand, so you test first and if you like the soft, you exit shadow mode and reinstall the soft on real mode.

note: SD is set to be on-demand by default

Also how to know that i got a malware infection since Emsisosft IS is there it would delete or block it and if some malwares enter my PC and EIS doesn't show any pop-ups that i got infection so will shadow defender show that like the file u installed is malware infected. We recommend to restore and reboot ur system.

No, SD is not a scanner , it will not inform you.

I know i should apply my mind and myself learn which files might harm my PC's health and I do know about it to certain extent but there's always room for improvement and some malwares like zero day malwares if they some how failed to be blocked by both EIS and shadow If shadow shows msgs like what I've posted above then I would have no Idea what to restore since I might not be knowing which malware has just infected my PC.

SD shows nothing, just deny all changes made while in Shadow Mode; it is why , a backup solution or Rollback system is advised to use.

SD is NOT an anti-malware soft, it is a virtualization program, and it just do that: keep apart all changes made to the system while it is on shadow mode.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
OK thank you bo.elam, thewolfsmith72, Jack and Umbra Corp. for help. Now all doubts clear and ready to use Shadow Defender :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.