App Review Shadow Defender

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
A lightweight virtualization software. I start off by installing some legit applications just to add to the amount of system changes, and then drop 10 malicious samples onto the desktop as well, a simple restart, and the system is spotless again. Samples courtesy of Silversurfer.

Another great solution for those helping family and friends with their computers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Nice test. I have a question about SD for you if you know or any other SD user.
How do you go by with your folder for documents, emails etc? You exclude those from protection and take care of protecting them with other ways?

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
How do you go by with your folder for documents, emails etc? You exclude those from protection and take care of protecting them with other ways?
Follow the manual that Av gurus posted. Personally when i used to run SD i would use it as a on demand as it comes set at default. I would start my system , update everything that needed it, then i would enter Shadow Mode and surf, experiment with applications ect.
When i had work to do like with documents ect, i would do this in normal mode.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Follow the manual that Av gurus posted. Personally when i used to run SD i would use it as a on demand as it comes set at default. I would start my system , update everything that needed it, then i would enter Shadow Mode and surf, experiment with applications ect.
When i had work to do like with documents ect, i would do this in normal mode.
Me 2, do not have ShadowDefender on AutoRun, but a shortcut on the desktop. It's super easy and fast to switch to Shadow Mode, everything happening inside this session will be gone after restart (at least my PC does not differentiate between restart triggered by the Start Menu or by right-clicking on the ShadowDefender icon in the TaskBar, selecting the appropriate option to leave the session and restart).

EDIT: Great video as always, @Lucent Warrior, thank you for sharing! Best app I've ever purchased, and still a steal at the price for a lifetime license.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author

1. Email - use online email instead of local
2. Save documents to external drive (e.g. flash drive)

For Step 2 you can use a Shadowed (virtualized) drive, just commit the changes to it within Shadow Defender and the documents will be saved.

You don't want to exclude anything - because if there is an attack - for example ransomware - it will encrypt the un-Shadowed flash drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've enjoyed Lucent Warrior's example of what an indespensible & effective fail safe Shadow Defender can truly be, and the subsequent discussions here on "How to commit files & folders to Shadow Defender" safely have left me feeling "Shadow smarter" too!:) :p
As for the excellent selection of it's accompanying music, it became necessary to replay the video a second time as I found myself "commiting" to it's Shadow bluesyness!:cool: :D

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
1. Email - use online email instead of local
2. Save documents to external drive (e.g. flash drive)

For Step 2 you can use a Shadowed (virtualized) drive, just commit the changes to it within Shadow Defender and the documents will be saved.

You don't want to exclude anything - because if there is an attack - for example ransomware - it will encrypt the un-Shadowed flash drive.
Yep, and for step 1 use -> ProtonMail - Log in

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.