Should I be using Thunderbird 15, for mail and chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
Hi everyone!
I'm thinking of start using Thunderbird 15, for my mail and chat needs.

However I have no experience with Thunderbird and I'm not sure this is the right thing to do. (Security wise)

The plan is to migrate my:
.Gmail
.Hotmail's
.Google reader

.MSN
.Google Talk

.Skype (if Possible)

Is this a good thing to do? (Will I have same or better security?)
and should I have some addons for Thunderbird? (If you recommend me to use it...)

Thanks for help!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What were you using before?

What you can move over to Thunderbird is Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo. Don't know about the Skype and what not.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
McLovin said:
What were you using before?

What you can move over to Thunderbird is Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo. Don't know about the Skype and what not.

Hi!
I was simply using the web-interfaces.
Meaning:
. Gmail.com
. hotmail.com
.google.com/reader/

.Windows live messenger (program)
.Google Talk (program)
.Skype (program)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
thepiratedon said:
Hi!
Meaning:
. Gmail.com
. hotmail.com
.google.com/reader/

.Google Talk (program)
.Skype (program)

I see, well for Gmail and Hotmail, you can use it in Thunderbird, as for the rest, not really sure. I would think if you want all instant messaging programs all in one, why not use something like Pidgin.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
McLovin said:
thepiratedon said:
Hi!
Meaning:
. Gmail.com
. hotmail.com
.google.com/reader/

.Google Talk (program)
.Skype (program)

I see, well for Gmail and Hotmail, you can use it in Thunderbird, as for the rest, not really sure. I would think if you want all instant messaging programs all in one, why not use something like Pidgin.

Ok, I will take a look at Pidgin. :)
But can I use Google Reader in Thunderbird?

joanna111

Sep 2, 2012
hi, i want to ask you if we can use the thunderbird chat feature to install on our website to chat with our clients online ? because this is the main reason i would like to consider using it besides personal purpose.

if you check our site , http://www.xykoo.com , you see we use msn online chat to our client at the moment, but that is very limit as you understand not many people use msn chat nowadays, so a chatting system can combine with all other gmail, yahoo chat would be ideal.

thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.