Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
FireFox (HTTPS Everywhere+NoScript+uBlock Origin+Emsisoft Browser Security)
Slimjet (HTTPS Everywhere+ADGuard+Windows Defender Browser Protection )
Microsoft Edge beta (HTTPS Everywhere)
Maintenance tools
cCleaner
wise DiskCleaner
Puran Utilities
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Free Edition
Windows Backup
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free Edition
Windows Backup
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading malware samples
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Intel i5/8400/16GB
Radeon RX570/4GB
SSD/126GB+HDD/1TB
External storage/2TB HDD

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
This is the main configuration of the PC. Previously, we used a combination of various security software, but due to lack of knowledge that we could use, we decided to limit the introduction of third-party products.
The main concern is more backup than defense. Just in case, we use Windows and Macrium together.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@bribon77
I installed Malwarebytes as a second opinion.:)

@Umbra @harlan4096 @oldschool
Thanks for your suggestions🙏. Perhaps they point out the same thing. The level of UAC has been raised. I tended to downplay UAC because of the strong impression of intervening every time I do something. By the way, in Japan, there are many users who have lowered their level to the UAC minimum. I was also swallowed by that tide.😉

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@show-Zi because you created your own annoyances probably by doing a lot of admin tasks or using tools requiring (legitimately or not) admin privileges.
For example some softs on SUA doesn't requires admin rights when executed, while in admin account, they do.

Remember, UAC is there to restrict auto-elevation (common behavior of many malware) hence execution of process having significant impact on the system.

Admin account is supposed to be used for admin tasks only, not daily use. When using Admin Account, you run in high privileges session which gives any potential malware less difficulties to compromise your system.

I use SUA as my daily account, and unless I run some specific Windows admin tools or programs (backup softs., etc...) I don't get any UAC prompts.

People are too used to use admin accounts even some devs, because in the past MS making the default user account as admin account.

Last edited by a moderator:

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@show-Zi because you created your own annoyances probably by doing a lot of admin tasks or using tools requiring (legitimately or not) admin privileges.
For example some softs on SUA doesn't requires admin rights when executed, while in admin account, they do.

Remember, UAC is there to restrict auto-elevation (common behavior of many malware) hence execution of process having significant impact on the system.

Admin account is supposed to be used for admin tasks only, not daily use. When using Admin Account, you run in high privileges session which gives any potential malware less difficulties to compromise your system.

I use SUA as my daily account, and unless I run some specific Windows admin tools or programs (backup softs., etc...) I don't get any UAC prompts.

People are too used to use admin accounts even some devs, because in the past MS making the default user account as admin account.
It has given me a fresh start on thinking about admin accounts. I tried it a little with the Default account, but the UAC did not get in the way more than I expected.
It may be wise to migrate to a standard account and use it after completing a full configuration as an administrator after a clean install. We're planning a clean install for the next upgrade, so we'll do that.
Thank you, @Umbra ;). It was very helpful.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.