Advice Request Simple Informative Tray Icon for just WD

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Years ago for XP, someone created a program that provided an icon in the system tray that told you whether Windows Defender was on or off plus you could access the GUI by right clicking on this icon in the system tray like other avs do.

Now your only option in W10 is to rely on the Windows Defender security center icon which informs about everything else not related to the status of the AV with an annoying yellow shield alert. One always is lead to believe that there is something going on with WD.

That said, does anyone have a workaround for just an informative system tray icon JUST reporting on the status of WD?

I think it would be useful if someone could create one. I know the alternative is to use an AV other than WD.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
The yellow shield alert can be dismissed by performing whatever it's asking you to do (scan system, probably). If the yellow shield alert reappears, it is likely that your disk cleaning software is resetting the WD cache so it keeps thinking you've never scanned your system before.

Once the yellow shield alert is out of the way, you can distinguish the difference between WD enabled/disabled through the lack of a shield alert (enabled), or the red shield alert (disabled).

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
The yellow shield alert can be dismissed by performing whatever it's asking you to do (scan system, probably). If the yellow shield alert reappears, it is likely that your disk cleaning software is resetting the WD cache so it keeps thinking you've never scanned your system before.

Once the yellow shield alert is out of the way, you can distinguish the difference between WD enabled/disabled through the lack of a shield alert (enabled), or the red shield alert (disabled).

The yellow shield also displays if it thinks system drivers need updating. I have checked my system with two well known driver update programs, and my drivers are fine. There is no "Ignore" option, and this has nothing to do with AV issues.

It seems Microsoft made the WDSC more like an all in one maintenance program in W10. The current icon will inform about anything covered under WDSC.

I just want to know about WD status. This is the main reason I do not use WD due to lack of specific Av status info like other well known AV p.rovide in their system tray icons.

Imo, Microsoft bombed here in Windows 10.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
I don't have a recommendation for a tray icon alternative, but if the "Device performance and health" is unimportant to you, you can disable the whole section, which will remove the yellow shield alert.

Open gpedit.
Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Security Centre\Device performance and health.
Open Hide the Device performance and health area, select "Enabled", then click OK.

Now you can distinguish between no shield alert, and red shield alert for the enabled/disabled status of WD.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for this tip. It worked:).

I googled for quite awhile for a method to turn off the Device Health, and most people suggested registry hacks, which I tried, and eventually screwed up WD to the point that I could not get it to run. Eventually had to reformat my HD in order to do a clean install of W10 v1803, and get an operable copy of WD.

That said, I am now running WD+CF/cs settings. Supposedly, this is a great non-conflicting combo.

Reactions: slash/

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Thanks for this tip. It worked:).

I googled for quite awhile for a method to turn off the Device Health, and most people suggested registry hacks, which I tried, and eventually screwed up WD to the point that I could not get it to run. Eventually had to reformat my HD in order to do a clean install of W10 v1803, and get an operable copy of WD.

That said, I am now running WD+CF/cs settings. Supposedly, this is a great non-conflicting combo.
Glad it worked out. I'm using CF (CS settings) as well. I've completely disabled UAC and WD for an overall smoother experience though. Not sure if disabling WD will hinder my security with CF, but it has been shown by CS that UAC makes absolutely no difference against malware with CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.