simplewall
Windows Firewall Control
TinyWall
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
As an AI, I don't have personal opinions or favorites. However, all three firewalls have their unique features. Simplewall is known for its simplicity, Windows Firewall Control for its integration with the Windows system, and TinyWall for its non-intrusive operation. Your choice should depend on your specific needs and preferences.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
If Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control is the best, then none is good. Many repeated rules, Windows malware services being blocked without any notification, some installers and programs get blocked and crash every time you upgrade them to a new version. It's just annoying.
If you want a good free firewall, use Avast/AVG Free. Stronger and completely automated.

• Thanks
Reactions: lokamoka820

n8chavez

Level 18
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
If Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control is the best, then none is good. Many repeated rules, Windows malware services being blocked without any notification, some installers and programs get blocked and crash every time you upgrade them to a new version. It's just annoying.
If you want a good free firewall, use Avast/AVG Free. Stronger and completely automated.

It sounds like you just need to take a rule at your ruleset. Everything your mentioning is because of that. Rules are created. Don't blame WFC because you did it wrong. I've used it for years, and have never once had the issues you're describing.

• HaHa
Reactions: Templarware

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
What do the people here think of portmaster?
I tried Portmaster before, it is heavier than other options here and slowdown my web browsing, but it block telemetry for windows and apps by default, the good about it that it does not block the entire app connections, for example: it will block Ccleaner spyware connection but will not block the update function.

It is a good privacy tool, if you don't mind slow connection.

Also keeping an eye on simplewall and portmaster.
simplewall will block all connections by default, and show pop-up asking to allow for every app try to connect to the internet, a bit annoying.

• Thanks
Reactions: silvers

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Tinywall, Simplewall, WFC, Comodo, Portmaster, I've tried all of them and my preference goes to Comodo (ofc tweaked following the cruelsister's guide).
For me Portmaster is overwhelming and I found very difficult find what is went wrong when something is blocked.
Comodo is light as Tinywall, Simplewall and WFC but is far more secure.
My second choice would be Tinywall but it was left to the community and no one takes care of it...

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Tinywall, Simplewall, WFC, Comodo, Portmaster, I've tried all of them and my preference goes to Comodo (ofc tweaked following the cruelsister's guide).
For me Portmaster is overwhelming and I found very difficult find what is went wrong when something is blocked.
Comodo is light as Tinywall, Simplewall and WFC but is far more secure.
My second choice would be Tinywall but it was left to the community and no one takes care of it...
I can't find the cruelsister's guide, can you please send me a link for it?

Reactions: silvers

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
WFC, It's probably the best front end to WF you can get. The developer is quick to fix bugs and implements user requests. I like TinyWall but it's EOL, haven't tried simplewall or others.

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
I tried WFC, but it blocks Windows updates without showing a notification, I don't know if other Windows services will be blocked too.
At least in SW it shows notification for every connection, and you can enable Windows updates and store apps from the settings so they will work properly.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I tried WFC, but it blocks Windows updates without showing a notification, I don't know if other Windows services will be blocked too.
Never happened for me as long time user of WFC, it doesn't block (by default) Windows OS updates.

Only in case you would like to give another trial, make sure to enable WFC Notifications:

WFC.png

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Never happened for me as long time user of WFC, it doesn't block (by default) Windows OS updates.

Only in case you would like to give another trial, make sure to enable WFC Notifications:

View attachment 283658
I enabled learning mode, and to be more clear: when I checked Windows update it shows me that it runs normally, but when I tried to check for updates manually it shows me connection error.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I enabled learning mode, and to be more clear: when I checked Windows update it shows me that it runs normally, but when I tried to check for updates manually it shows me connection error.
Don't get me wrong, my intention is no personal attack, but that sounds not like a software issue, otherwise WFC wouldn't work properly for other users, I guess rather misconfiguration on your system or whatever reason... 🤔

You wrote earlier in post #17 "I tried WFC, but it blocks Windows updates without showing a notification ..." that sounds or can be misinterpreted that WFC as software would break Windows updates in general for all users, but that isn't true because the WFC developer is highly respected among the userbase of WFC, he would fix such major issues, not to mention Malwarebytes as company 😉

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.