Advice Request Skype alternatives? Can you help out?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
venustus, have you use any of the above that you may suggest? For Windows 8.1?;)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
venustus, have you use any of the above that you may suggest? For Windows 8.1?;)
I use Skype, but have heard ooVoo is very good from a couple of friends who use it:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What made you decide to search for an alternative to Skype, and are there any current issues you have with it?

Will you be video-calling, instant-messaging (IM), international calls?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have Windows 8.1, and was going to mention Google's Call Phone before I saw it was listed (2nd one down) on venutus' Alternatives to Skype <link>!:) Although I've used Skype, what I've liked most about the Google call number, accessed through Gmail, is that it became my new cell phone # after I found I no longer had one.o_O "How?" you might ask.
  1. You choose your own phone #, and can call anyone (except emergency 911..because it's portable).
  2. Phone calls are simply phone calls. Recipients do not have to additionally have their own Call Number or any Google app or plug-ins installed. Plus it's free!:)
  3. Video chat is included for use with others who have it, though I've never used it's video option.
  4. It conveniently screens any/or all calls you wish, & can either direct them to your voice mail or forward them to another number of your choice, and it's free!;)
  5. Text messages & voice mail are easily retrieved on "Google Voice" or remotely from any phone (your own or anyone else's).
  6. Calls are free!:cool: ...in Canada & USA
  7. My Google call number shall remain my home phone number that only rings when I turn it on ..forever, until I die, or Google goes under (whichever comes first)!:rolleyes::D
  8. The connections have always been wonderfully clear.:)
  9. Did I mention it's FREE?:):p
  • I've really liked using it which is why I recommend it!:D
PS If privacy under Google is a concern, I block all tracking & analytic scripts, & allow only Google.com for functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I have Windows 8.1, and was going to mention Google's Call Phone...
But do you have Google glasses already...
Otherwise Google can not never look, what you are doing in the bedroom.. And also pictures and video is possible to do from there..
People, if you want any kind of security, then beware of any matter, which is associated with Google or Facebook. On one hand, you want to be safe, and on the other hand everything for everyone to share. Good joke, but this is as it is, unfortunately.
And if nowhere is it written that your data is confidential - you must to be infinitely childlike, if you believe it.
Google knows about you absolutely everything, even what you itself do not know.
And if already Google knows, then knows everybody - even if they are dead, they remember.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
(What made you decide to search for an alternative to Skype, and are there any current issues you have with it?)
Skype would not work half the time! Connection Problems,Video Problems and Call quality ect...
I live with the Northern Kentucky Area. I have access to the Internet at least 90 % of the time.

Privacy is a big concern with Google! But will not rule out! Also, will check into several others alternative tomorrow.

Keep the suggestions coming for me to look-over friends.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
But do you have Google glasses already...
Otherwise Google can not never look, what you are doing in the bedroom.. And also pictures and video is possible to do from there..

Google knows about you absolutely everything, even what you...do not know.
And if already Google knows, then knows everybody - even if they are dead, they remember.
"..Google glasses..." was funny, and sounds a lot like "Beer Goggles"!:D

On a more serious note about privacy, I do agree it is important not to be blinded:cool: as a herd of cattle or a massively frightened :eek:school of fish driven by the tides ("Beware the (t-)Ides of March!"). I neither video chat nor trust with abandon Google or any of an assortment of monster:mad: corporations or :confused:governments. MalwareTips is, in a sense, my Facebook substitute. However, on the subject of finding a reliable phone line/text messaging software for Mister Moose, Google talk (phone) & Google voice (texting) are just good working options when you live in a part of Northern Kentucky with good internet service but bad telephone reception.:rolleyes: Thanks, kaljukass!:D It was a nice surprise reading your posts on Wilders Security Forums too. At least I didn't see you on o_OFacebook posting pictures in your bedroom!:eek: Now, I think I'll go add a Google blocking extension for Firefox, and we'll all be able to sleep better!:)

Last edited:

jamesroger

Sep 10, 2014
As an alternative to Skype, you may consider using tools such as WebEx, Gotomeeting, GoMeetNow, RHUB web conferencing servers etc.

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.