Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
SMPlayer is a free media player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats. It doesn't need any external codecs. Just install SMPlayer and you'll be able to play all formats without the hassle to find and install codec packs.

One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave... don't worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume...

SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play Youtube videos or download subtitles.

Version 23.12.0​

[23.12] - 2023-12-26​

• Implemented support for the new Opensubtitles API.
  • Fix play/pause with mpv 0.37.
  • Fix loading playlists with extension m3u8.
  • Fix video jitter/shudder when clicking on timeline bar.
  • Other small fixes.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
SMPlayer is a free media player that is available for both Windows and Linux operating systems. One of its key features is that it comes with built-in codecs, which means you don't need to install any external codec packs to play various video and audio formats. This saves you the hassle of searching for and installing additional codecs.

One of the standout features of SMPlayer is its ability to remember the settings of all the files you play. For example, if you start watching a movie but have to leave, SMPlayer will remember the point where you left off when you open the movie again. It will also remember other settings such as the audio track, subtitles, and volume level. This is a convenient feature that allows you to easily resume playback without having to manually adjust the settings each time.

SMPlayer is actually a graphical user interface (GUI) for the popular MPlayer media player. MPlayer is known for its ability to play almost all known video and audio formats. SMPlayer builds upon this by providing access to the most common and useful options of MPlayer, while also adding additional features. For example, SMPlayer allows you to play YouTube videos directly within the player and even download subtitles for your videos.

The latest version of SMPlayer, version 23.12.0, was released on December 26, 2023. This update includes several improvements and fixes. It has implemented support for the new Opensubtitles API, fixed play/pause functionality with mpv 0.37, resolved issues with loading playlists with the m3u8 extension, and fixed video jitter/shudder when clicking on the timeline bar. Additionally, there are other small fixes that further enhance the overall user experience.

If you're interested in trying out SMPlayer, you can find more information and download it from the official website at . The detailed release notes for version 23.12.0 can be found on the SMPlayer GitHub page at .

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Does anyone here use SMPlayer as their main player?

I'm asking as I'm a long time VLC user (+15? years) who tried SMPlayer, along with a couple of other players, when a couple of tracks wouldn't play in VLC, the files were corrupted so they didn't work on any player. I stuck with SMPlayer for a week or so, perhaps it is because I am so used to VLC but I struggled to find a reason to persevere with it over VLC. Is there something that I'm missing when trying it out that I should really investigate? Perhaps its just me having a tendency to stick with players once I like them, it was only when Winamp got messed up that I changed away from that as my go to music player.

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Does anyone here use SMPlayer as their main player?

I'm asking as I'm a long time VLC user (+15? years) who tried SMPlayer, along with a couple of other players, when a couple of tracks wouldn't play in VLC, the files were corrupted so they didn't work on any player. I stuck with SMPlayer for a week or so, perhaps it is because I am so used to VLC but I struggled to find a reason to persevere with it over VLC. Is there something that I'm missing when trying it out that I should really investigate? Perhaps its just me having a tendency to stick with players once I like them, it was only when Winamp got messed up that I changed away from that as my go to music player.
Are you using it on Windows or Linux? For me on Windows, PotPlayer is currently the best. In Linux, SMPlayer with mpv backend is the best, smooth as silk. VLC is choppy for me on both platforms (could be the weak hardware).

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Are you using it on Windows or Linux? For me on Windows, PotPlayer is currently the best. In Linux, SMPlayer with mpv backend is the best, smooth as silk. VLC is choppy for me on both platforms (could be the weak hardware).
Sorry I missed this, I'm using it on Windows and Linux. I'd prefer to stick to open-source apps, but thanks for the response and suggesting PotPlayer.

I've not noticed VLC being choppy on either OS.

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Sorry I missed this, I'm using it on Windows and Linux. I'd prefer to stick to open-source apps, but thanks for the response and suggesting PotPlayer.

I've not noticed VLC being choppy on either OS.
No problem. Sure VLC is a trusted name. I'm not trying to convince you to switch, but SMPlayer and its backends (mpv, MPlayer) are all open source. MPlayer (first released in 2000) is even older than VLC (2001) whereas SMPlayer is not much younger (2006) and mpv is already 10 years old (2013).

In fact, after my previous post, I've tried SMPlayer again on Windows and it is even smoother than PotPlayer, so now SMPlayer is my go-to on both Linux and Windows. For me, all other players (including VLC and PotPlayer) stutter at varying degrees when playing files from my cloud folder, even on new powerful hardware, not the case for SMPlayer.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just happy to find something that works perfectly for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.