N/A - Linux / Mac / Other operating system
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
No Remote Access, Disabled upnp, Set most Browser settings to more restrictive privacy settings.
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge all with Adguard Browser Extension
Secure DNS
N/A
Desktop VPN
N/A
Password manager
Sticky Password Premium
File and Photo backup
Manually via External HDD
System recovery
Currently none
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
ASUS X555UA
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
Notable changes
Increased Security of UAC, Exploit Settings set to default and enabled DEP for for everything that it can be used for. Disabled Attachment preview in Outlook.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Consider replacing HitmanPro with Norton Power Eraser or Kaspersky Virus Removal tool as they are far more effective. You could also tweak Microsoft Defender with ConfigureDefender or DefenderUI. Secure DNS like Quad9 or NextDNS is also a nice addition for web-protection without the need of installing an extension for that.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Your LastPass account is at risk are you aware of that?
See here for more info on LastPass:

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Also,
  • What about a full image system backup solution?
  • And personal documents to cloud service?
Thanks for sharing :)

Hey,

Sorry for the delay. For the system image backup, what are 3 products you would recommend? I used a specific one, backed up the images to an external WD External HDD but the backup(s) were corrupted when I attempted to image the PC and I couldn't recover anything. A question about that - do you personally backup only the system image, or the entire HDD (basically Windows + all programs and files)?

For individual files, right now I've been doing manually uploading them to a cloud provider, which isn't ideal. Any recommendations for a secure (ideally encrypted service, even better if free)?

Thank you both @harlan4096 and @Victor M !

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Depending on which cloud provider you use you may be able to use a program like SyncBackFree to sync your files to the cloud. I use it to backup my files ( documents, music, pictures etc) to my cloud provider once every 2 weeks, you can set it up so that it does it automatically.

Reactions: harlan4096
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Secure DNS like Quad9 or NextDNS is also a nice addition for web-protection without the need of installing an extension for that.
I believe the field should display DNS / Secure DNS options. Legacy DNS server users overlook the field since it displays Secure DNS. What are your opinions about it?
For the system image backup, what are 3 products you would recommend? I used a specific one, backed up the images to an external WD External HDD but the backup(s) were corrupted when I attempted to image the PC and I couldn't recover anything. A question about that - do you personally backup only the system image, or the entire HDD (basically Windows + all programs and files)?
Hasleo Backup Suite is worth trying out. It's fast, reliable, and completely free. Hasleo's restore feature has proven reliable in my test, which I've performed multiple times now. I only backup the system partition.
Discussion Thread - Hasleo Backup Suite 3.0 launches with file backups and other improvements

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.