Some image file show icon instead of thumbnail - solution!

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Malware in picture - like this one safe picture: permian-mass-extinction 634x399.jpg
kMQLVpP.jpg

So malware in picture (this same, but bigger image: 794x500) are here:
história: 60 mil anos, período de tempo comparável a um piscar de .
on funny-pictures.picphotos.net
- 'search by image' on Google Images, it's 2th picture.

Downloaded on my desktop, but see no possibility to delete it - no 'delete' function on the right click for this picture only ..
PCHunter/right click/delete it (in RED on PCHunter ..) saved me.

PS.
Web Inspector of SlimBoat browser - Console: get Warnings:
Resource interpreted as Image but transferred with MIME type text/html.
Too, the page at .. displayed insecure content from : womencitizen.com, vistaalmar.es, referentiel.nouvelobs.com, imguol.com, pangeabio.com, europapress.net

So many of these images (by 'search by image' on Google Images) are malicious? ...........

EDIT:
Could read: no 'Remove' function with the right click on this picture .. so no possibility to remove it .. sorry for my English!

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Prorootect What do you mean no right-click delete?

I downloaded, uploaded to with http://mime.ritey.com , and the result: image/jpeg. Also scanned both website, image host and download image to VT and Web Inspector, nothing suspicious.

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
This same problem with this suspicious image Today:
If download it from the link:
hxxps://www .google.bs/search?q=permian+extinction&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSZRpjCxCo1NgEGgIICAwLELCMpwgaPAo6CAISFJUKyAnLCcEP3A-lDMMRvhG_1D7oPGiDmFE8BH3aHDtdMV5UUieZrUz4ZJB3sP9P2IPYRnuBh9gwLEI6u_1ggaCgoICAESBL8GlvcM&sa=X&ei=9SZVVKibLYSCPZ-tgaAO&ved=0CBkQ2A4oAQ&biw=1249&bih=802#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=DmulDaKDs0W7oM%253A%3BH5FrXnAs9ijzyM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimguol.com%252Fc%252Fnoticias%252F2014%252F02%252F11%252F11fev2014---extincao-relampago---pesquisadores-do-mit-descobriram-a-duracao-da-maior-extincao-animal-da-historia-60-mil-anos-periodo-de-tempo-comparavel-a-um-piscar-de-olhos-na-escala-geologica-1392133454483_794x500.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffunny-pictures.picphotos.net%252Fcerca-mil-aves-morreram-esta-madrugada-sequ-ncia%252Fabola.pt*img*fotos*mundos*lusa*incendios*incendioaviario.JPG%252F%3B794%3B500
- to My Pictures folder, this jpg are in the form of generic pictures icon, not of thumbnail - only display pictures generic icon instead of thumbnail - look on this screenshot:

My Pictures folder - suspicious image '11fev2014---extincao-relampago--- ... -na-escala-geologica-13921334544 794x500.jpg' screenshot.jpg
rUn6C34.jpg

Too, with the right click on this icon, I don't have the Remove possibility, nor the Scan with MBAM, Cut, Copy possibilities, lines.
With the click on Folder tab/Properties of this icon, I get the General tab only, with no data .. Size only: '0 octets' (0 Bytes).
Look on this screenshot:

Suspicious image - click on Folder button - Properties window - screenshot.jpg
jJ03HB4.jpg

If hovered with the mouse - I have the Size: 94.3 KB, and the Name is present too (why?), but no Dimensions ..
I can not change the name of this icon - Windows responds by the short beep only ..

- maybe the name is too long (look on the number in the name, that is cut a little: missing '83_') I think now .. and Windows can not do its job ..
- So Huracan, you say is there nothing suspicious?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could the image file be corrupt, usually if the download is interrupted.
Edit: File name is too long. Copy image and re-name to 1.JPG, should be able to delete?

See URL source of downloaded image:
upload_2014-11-1_20-58-47.png

Upload .JPG, VirusTotal (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...4cb0dde76fb5d819e7d909224126b823407/analysis/)
Scan URL, VT (https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/3...2197380576a99e2949c37e564dad229879f/analysis/)
Scan URL, Web Inspector (https://app.webinspector.com/public/reports/26359967)

@Malware1 Scanning image .jpg with an Antivirus is not that good? (I'm no expert)

upload_2014-11-1_20-55-43.png

I'll move to a new thread.

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'I'll move to a new thread.' - thank you, very good!

'Copy image and re-name to 1.JPG, should be able to delete?'

But Huracan, I wrote that I don't have the 'Copy' function listed in the right click for this image/icon, please ..
Quote:
'Too, with the right click on this icon, I don't have the Remove possibility, nor the Scan with MBAM, Cut, Copy possibilities, lines.'

Listen, I see that you have this '83_' in the name .. that I don't have!

In my precedent post, I wrote:
'- maybe the name is too long (look on the number in the name, that is cut a little: missing '83_') I think now .. and Windows can not do its job ..'

so I think now, that the too long name is badly handled by my Windows.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Well I found the solution here:

I have shortened the name to: '11fev2014---extincao-relampago---pesquisadores 794x500.jpg' in PCHunter/File .. with right click on this image/icon, and click on 'Rename', then downloaded to My Pictures folder, and this get the good thumbnail of this image, which are safe I see!

PCHunter saved me ..

So thank you, the problem is fixed!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.