Serious Discussion Some sugerence for antivirus or security software

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi, guys, i chancel my bitdefender suscription because it gives for total play, because the phone company is too expensive and they remove the bitdefender suscripcion, plase,can you sugesst me one nother solution ligthweigth andfor high protction. Microsoft defender is enough or damange nvme.2 because i know defender has high demandin hard disk. I am thinking in norton or avast free. I only use pc for work, play original games, and some times i see movies in "that sietes", but not frecuently, never have infected

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
If you're looking for a lightweight and high protection solution, you might want to consider Avira or AVG. Both have free versions and are known for their low system impact. Microsoft Defender is also a good option, it's much improved and doesn't typically damage hard drives. Norton is a solid choice but it's not free. Avast is good, but recent privacy concerns might make you reconsider. Always remember, no antivirus can provide 100% protection, so safe browsing habits are also important.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
If you're looking for a lightweight and high protection solution, you might want to consider Avira or AVG. Both have free versions and are known for their low system impact. Microsoft Defender is also a good option, it's much improved and doesn't typically damage hard drives. Norton is a solid choice but it's not free. Avast is good, but recent privacy concerns might make you reconsider. Always remember, no antivirus can provide 100% protection, so safe browsing habits are also important.
Thank you, i really hate the adaware from avast, and defender in past years have 100% hard disk in mechanic disk and some people says it damage hard disk. I share whith my mothher bidefender and she love it because it protects from "fraudulent mensajes in android and block it and same to "conections", but she is very careful in their navigation habits only use online bank and whatsapp, dont open extrange mails or mensajes, but she likes "bitdefender popup", same situation in her pc. For me thats not a problem i have trafficligth and rarely see movies in "that sites" one or two times at year.. Sorry for my long answer. Two cuestions more.
!.- Defender not have higth demand on disk now? are you sure?, i stop follow their development.
2.-Avira have too much pop ups?
3AVG is not the same like avast?7
Thank you ad sorry for the deeelay i dont speak english and are spanish speaker and not use traslate

Reactions: Jack

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you, i really hate the adaware from avast, and defender in past years have 100% hard disk in mechanic disk and some people says it damage hard disk. I share whith my mothher bidefender and she love it because it protects from "fraudulent mensajes in android and block it and same to "conections", but she is very careful in their navigation habits only use online bank and whatsapp, dont open extrange mails or mensajes, but she likes "bitdefender popup", same situation in her pc. For me thats not a problem i have trafficligth and rarely see movies in "that sites" one or two times at year.. Sorry for my long answer. Two cuestions more.
!.- Defender not have higth demand on disk now? are you sure?, i stop follow their development.
2.-Avira have too much pop ups?
3AVG is not the same like avast?7
Thank you ad sorry for the deeelay i dont speak english and are spanish speaker and not use traslate
1. Microsoft Defender has improved a lot and is not known to cause high disk usage anymore.
2. Avira does have some pop-ups but they are not too intrusive.
3. AVG and Avast are owned by the same company but they operate as separate products. Both are good options.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I would recommend Kaspersky's free version. It's light on the system and follows the paid version with strong detection.
I like kaspersky but really is better than defender in free version?, in kaspersky have a option to check ssl certificates and shows a pop up who my mother hates. And defender for me i dont see nothing bad but i worry about my nvm2

Reactions: Jack

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As for solid protection, IMO there's no behaviour blocker that compares to Kaspersky's System Watcher, even in the free version it performs really good.

Another solid option can be Norton's SONAR, but that's a paid product.

Defender is a decent option but you should pair it up with some hardener like ConfigureDefender.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
As for solid protection, IMO there's no behaviour blocker that compares to Kaspersky's System Watcher, even in the free version it performs really good.

Defender is a decent option but you should pair it up with some hardener like ConfigureDefender.
I'im using Kaspersky Plus (paid) with Andy Ful's Hard Configurator at Win 11 recommended settings. It might be overkill but that's okay.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'im using Kaspersky Plus (paid) with Andy Ful's Hard Configurator at Win 11 recommended settings. It might be overkill but that's okay.
I think that's upon the user. I myself use Kaspersky Standard and consider Application Control to cover pretty well the execution of software. I believe, in my case, H_C's SRP to be unnecessary. Nevertheless, the hardening that software can do is pretty good and pretty much complements any antivirus.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Kaspersky is better than Eset in terms of protection. Eset has average detection (proven on many tests), almost non-existent behavioural blocking and good web protection. Kaspersky is above average, free and has even better web blocking capabilities. Eset is lighter. The ball is in your court what you will use but Avast/AVG and Bitdefender are all better than Eset.

OTTO

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
Somebody suggested eset but that product is average at best. It missed samples(more than others) in some of my tests. Windows defender is far better than eset premium ultra plus whatever their best programme is.
Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast, Norton is far superior to eset in every aspect. Eset is not in the same leauge with these antivirus companies. First time i got interested in cyber security and malware, it was 15 years ago and even then eset was mediocre. I would suggest Kaspersky free. Malware detection is excellent, Phishing and fraudulent website detection is excellent(better than bitdefender). Other than that i would sugggest bitdefender as well but you said you can not use it anymore.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Somebody suggested eset but that product is average at best. It missed samples(more than others) in some of my tests. Windows defender is far better than eset premium ultra plus whatever their best programme is.
Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast, Norton is far superior to eset in every aspect. Eset is not in the same leauge with these antivirus companies. First time i got interested in cyber security and malware, it was 15 years ago and even then eset was mediocre. I would suggest Kaspersky free. Malware detection is excellent, Phishing and fraudulent website detection is excellent(better than bitdefender). Other than that i would sugggest bitdefender as well but you said you can not use it anymore.

I like to know what Eset missed at your place, it intrigues me...

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

I have Norton Antivirus Plus on one pc, fast and solid (paid). I think MS Defender is solid and I run it with CyberLock = very solid imo. CyberLock is not free, but worth its minimal price imo.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Ohhh, vodoo, i remember that, but kaspersky is very cool and i use it and install in my mother computer, imagine if its is complicated for me, my mother going crazy. But thanks for the sugerence

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Ohhh, vodoo, i remember that, but kaspersky is very cool and i use it and install in my mother computer, imagine if its is complicated for me, my mother going crazy. But thanks for the sugerence
I must be using VS/CL for too many years as I don't see it as complicated, more of set it once and forget it (unless you're installing apps then quick "install/disable" setting from systray right-click). Dan often says he engineered it for grandmothers... :D
I ran Kaspersky Standard for past 12 months with CL no issues, no malware, but changed to MS Defender when KAV license expired. FWIW...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.