Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
malwarebytes
EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
firefox (Ext:Bookmarks organizer,Eversync,LastPass,AdBlock Plus)
chrome (Ext:Eversync,Bookmark manager plus,LastPass)
Maintenance tools
Wise Care Pro
SUMo
File and Photo backup
AOMEI Backupper
Acronis True Image
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Dell Precision T1600
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 600
DDR3,4096 MBytes
Hard drives 465 GB,931 GB

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You have guts - you run using your admin account daily. When an attacker makes it onto your system, he will automatically gain Complete control of your system. Whereas if you run as standard user, he will have to figure out ways to gain admin rights.
Not quite. I don't think scaremongering users into using a Standard User account is a good idea, especially when you have not specified all the Pros/Cons about switching.

I'll create a new thread to continue the discussion.

@sophivan I would also consider upgrading to a Windows 10 PC, either a new PC if the current is slow, or a new OS license for the upgrade. Please remember to backup all your existing data before upgrading the OS.

Can you specify which version of Avira?
And which extensions installed in your browsers?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@sophivan:

Update Your system, at least to Windows 8.1, Windows 7 got Microsoft End of Support since last 19 of January.

You may set UAC to Always Notify.

Consider to use an extra tool to harden Your protection, for example NoVirusThanks SysHardener tool (Defaults tweaks).

In Virus and Malware Removal Tools, You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and HitManPro Free.

In Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions , You may add uBlock Origin or AdGuard AdBlocker extension to Your browsers.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I would upgrade to Win 10 at the earliest you can. You're not a company that has specific software that is only compatible with Win 7, plus you're also not a hospital or organisation with critical infrastructure. However when you do decide to upgrade whenever you choose too please backup everything or essential/important files you need.

The rest I cannot comment on regarding your setup as I do not know whether or not you'll switch from 7 to 10.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.