Sophos Home Free Antivirus Reviews/Tests on Youtube

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Been trying out Sophos Free Antivirus this week. Had what I felt were a few false positives on the initial scan, and it deleted them without mercy. I guess that's a good thing, but had it been an irreplaceable document I would have choked.

Gave it a second go today, and initial scan comes up clean and smooth sailing on 2 machines so far with only Sophos Home Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free.

I am giving this AV a shot pretty much on the basis of the 3 videos I could find on youtube that test its capabilities. I am not the maker of any of these, I am just passing the links along for folks who might want to check out Sophos Home. It's really hard to find any reviews on this AV as it's so new.

Dec 2 by The PC Security Channel - already posted here:
Video Review - Sophos Home Free Antivirus Review (From The PC Security Channel)

Dec 18 by DeHaxor4evr - 2 parts

Dec 19 by DragonDanPCMan

Enjoy! Please feel free to move to video reviews, but I didn't feel comfy posting there as I did not make these videos.

Last edited:

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
What do you think about its detection rate ?
Also in video it seems to find many malware, even when you run an .exe it blocks many threads
And others malware files are being disinfected and thats why windows can't run these installers anymore :)
I like it, but its a little heavy on system and slows down internet/surfing ....

Hangtooth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I ran it for a few days and it found nothing, but then again I didn't do anything except normal safe browsing and downloading from legitimate sites etc. I really do like it, but until I see it tested for real by the big sites that independantly test AVs, it's not worth the risk when accompanied by the lack of control. If it has perfect detection and no FPs great, but otherwise it's a problem waiting to happen.

Reactions: Sundaram999

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Last edited:

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
From what i've seen Sophos deletes the malware perfectly, only other programs are classified as pup (then you can allow/add to exceptions or clean it as malware) but yes it could be better with Quarantine and the possibillty to restore files ... but there are almost no FP with Sophos.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.