Spotify increases Premium to $10.99 and Duo to $14.99 for US, Europe and Australia

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Beginning Monday, new subscribers will pay $1 more per month for its ad-free premium plan, rising to $10.99 per month. Current customers are being given a “one-month grace period before the new price becomes effective,” Spotify said.

Spotify’s other tiers, like its family and student plans, are also getting a $1 per month bump. The monthly cost of Duo, a plan that lets two people split a premium plan, is rising by $2, to $14.99. The price increases are now in effect for subscribers in a number of countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia.
Shares of the company popped more than 1% in premarket trading Monday. Spotify said in its most recent earnings report that the number of global users grew 15% year over year to 210 million, but reported an operating loss of €156 million ($173 million). It also cut 6% staff earlier this year.

Streaming services are no long chasing subscribers, but rather investors are pressuring them to make money off the services, even if it comes at the expense of losing subscribers. Peacock, Netflix, Paramount+, Disney+ and Max (owned by CNN’s parent company Warner Bros. Discovery) have all increased the prices of their services in recent months.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I've ditched Disney+ - I have no issues with Spotify Duo increase as it gets lots of use (lots), I've tried Tidal etc & there for me isn't sufficient difference with lossless, I also stream flac of my own - As for Netflix despite paying extra for my daughter who recently moved away I dropped the quality (little difference) I now pay less than before - My favourite is Britbox & I pay yearly & for me is great - Netflix is now on final warning any-more increases & it's gone, it might go anyway (I doubt they will care)

Reactions: Nevi

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've ditched Disney+ - I have no issues with Spotify Duo increase as it gets lots of use (lots), I've tried Tidal etc & there for me isn't sufficient difference with lossless, I also stream flac of my own - As for Netflix despite paying extra for my daughter who recently moved away I dropped the quality (little difference) I now pay less than before - My favourite is Britbox & I pay yearly & for me is great - Netflix is now on final warning any-more increases & it's gone, it might go anyway (I doubt they will care)
Spotify Premium does not offer any lossless audio playback as of yet.

FYI, BritBox will eventually migrate to ITVX Premium — another subscription service.
BritBox will continue to exist as a standalone app, which you can continue enjoying as long as you have a BritBox subscription. However, all your favourite BritBox shows are moving to ITVX where you will need an ITVX Premium subscription to watch them. Some BritBox shows will also be available to watch for free with a standard ITVX account.

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I've tried Tidal etc & there for me isn't sufficient difference with lossless, I also stream flac of my own - As for Netflix despite paying extra for my daughter who recently moved away I dropped the quality (little difference) I now pay less than before
Lossless is not that noticeable, but Dolby Atmos spatial audio is a game changer. I've switched from Spotify to Apple Music a year ago and it's much better. Listening to Dolby Atmos tracks with my Q990B soundbar is an amazing experience, you won't go back

If you don't notice the big difference in the quality of Netflix plans is because you don't have an HDR/Dolby Vision 4K TV, or you sit too far from the TV.

• Hundred Points

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I have ITV X too, I don't want Spotify Lossless if they ever get around to running it, (or pay £120 a year extra for lossles of variable quality) don't want or need lossless net streaming as mentioned I have near on 1500 lossless .flac, albums but mainly use Spotify for background use as of now on NAD M10 V2 streamer, pretty good.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Lossless is not that noticeable, but Dolby Atmos spatial audio is a game changer. I've switched from Spotify to Apple Music a year ago and it's much better. Listening to Dolby Atmos tracks with my Q990B soundbar is an amazing experience, you won't go back

If you don't notice the big difference in the quality of Netflix plans is because you don't have an HDR/Dolby Vision 4K TV, or you sit too far from the TV.
It depends what you watch, which on flix becoming less & less.I'm rarely interested in latest releases - A sound-bar is never a substitute for a decent hi-fi with properly set up stands & in (at least for music) my case recent direc set-up - As i've said twice I have 1500 albums flac lossles of my own, dont really need any music streamer bar for background &in car..

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
A sound-bar is never a substitute for a decent hi-fi with properly set up stands & in (at least for music) my case recent direc set-up - As i've said twice I have 1500 albums flac lossles of my own, dont really need any music streamer bar for background &in car..
That's outdated information you're relying on. There are many soundbars in many price ranges. If you say that, you clearly never heard music in Dolby Atmos, through a good quality soundbar with rear speakers and upfiring drivers. On some songs, you hear sound effects coming from the ceiling, behind and all around you. On others, you hear the instruments of the orchestra from different spots of the room, and you feel like as if you're on stage.

I used to have a 700$ Sony Hi-fi system. My Q990B soundbar completely blows it out of the water, new world experience.
But of course, you need a source that provides the music in Dolby Atmos. Your Flac albums probably aren't encoded in Dolby Atmos.
And it will change your movie experience as well.

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
I actually upgraded my Netflix as soon as they got Dolby Atmos. I have a 7.4.2 setup with 4 Atmos speakers in the ceiling and 2 SVS 3000 PRO woofers all calibrated with a calibration mic and with Dirac audio room correction. I used to only watch movies in Ultra HD but now with Netflix premium I can stomach streaming.... as long as it's not a sci Fi blockbuster like Avatar or anything by Nolan. Those movies I still dedicate to ultra HD physical media. There IS a difference between streaming and physical in Dolby Vision/Audio. ,(Even though my streaming box is physically connected to the gagbit line it's still can't match a physical media).

I also have OLED.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
These streaming services are forcing people to use pirated apps as it gets more and more pricier day by day. Spotify can introduce a higher bitrate/FLAC option and charge a premium, use it to subsidise their normal customers.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
These streaming services are forcing people to use pirated apps as it gets more and more pricier day by day. Spotify can introduce a higher bitrate/FLAC option and charge a premium, use it to subsidise their normal customers
I don't think $12 a month is pricey, if you use Spotify daily its dirt cheap. Cut back 2 cups of coffee a month and you got it covered. People always want free or almost free not taking into consideration the money these companies have to spend on staff, program development, building and utility costs, equipment costs, etc.

Example: Lets say you pay Netflix $20/month, $240/ year and you use it 4 nights a week. Now lets assume you didn't have it, so for 2 of those 4 nights you decide to go out on the town instead as you have nothing else to do, you easily spend the $240 in that week. Per year thats $12480. That expensive Netflix subscription is saving you $12240 a year.

Last edited:

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
These streaming services are forcing people to use pirated apps as it gets more and more pricier day by day. Spotify can introduce a higher bitrate/FLAC option and charge a premium, use it to subsidise their normal customers.
Not really, the price is basically the same, and people spend a lot more money every month in things they don't need.
Piracy doesn't give you the same convenience, social features, lossless, neither 4K HDR with surround sound or Atmos, all things which after you get used to the experience, you don't want to go back.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
My point regarding Netflix is I don't watch sufficient UHD content to make premium worth it, that's why I downgraded, it's pointless paying for something you don't use - I'm 64 & have little interest in latest releases, I actually like a lot of old stuff which is why Britbox suits me - I have a Samsung 4K TV & a SONOS Beam.

I have a sub on my NAD M10 v 2 & Dirac live room correction really is worth paying for esp if its set-up using in my case a decent Shure Bros mic & someone experienced in setting it up - (that's now me) I think cartaphilus will agree it really helps for a less than perfect room.

For music I prefer a standard 3 speaker set-up though we are all different in that case, I recently bought a pair of hand made speakers from a guy in Yorkshire AlChris Audio great Loudspeakers, clever guy with bells on. AlChris Audio Home

I don't agree with piracy.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.