Technology Starlink bug frustrates users: “They don’t have tech support?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Starlink's lack of traditional customer support options is making life difficult today for new users affected by a bug that reset their accounts. A bunch of customers received an email from no-reply@starlink.com last night that said, "Your Starlink Account Has Been Reset. All pending orders and deposits have been refunded. You are welcome to visit Starlink.com to place a new order at any time using the same email address."

One Ars reader who got the account-reset email contacted us about the problem, and many others are complaining in Reddit threads. Starlink's account-recovery page that allows users to request password resets with an email address or phone number hasn't been working for them.

"When I try to reset my password via the email option, I get the error 'User not found,'" we were told by Adam, a Starlink customer in Alabama who preferred that we not publish his last name. When Adam tried to reset his password by entering his phone number, he received a text message with a password-reset link. But that didn't work, either. "After I type in a new password, I get the error message 'User disabled,'" Adam told us.

Despite the statement about refunds, Adam didn't have any orders or deposits refunded. He activated Starlink service on November 2 but doesn't know if service was interrupted. "I have it at another residence, and I haven't been there since receiving the message," he said.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It appears that Starlink, the satellite internet service provided by SpaceX, is facing a bug that has caused some users' accounts to be reset. Affected customers received an email stating that their accounts had been reset and that all pending orders and deposits had been refunded. However, the problem lies in the fact that Starlink's account-recovery page, which allows users to request password resets, is not functioning properly.

One customer, Adam from Alabama, shared his experience with the issue. When attempting to reset his password via email, he received an error message stating "User not found." Similarly, when trying to reset his password using his phone number, he received a text message with a password-reset link. However, after entering a new password, he encountered the error message "User disabled."

Furthermore, despite the email mentioning refunds, Adam did not have any orders or deposits refunded. He activated his Starlink service on November 2 but is unsure if his service has been interrupted, as he hasn't been at the location where the service is installed since receiving the account-reset email.

The lack of traditional customer support options from Starlink is exacerbating the frustration for affected users. This bug has left customers unable to access their accounts or receive assistance in resolving the issue. Many users have taken to Reddit to express their complaints and seek help.

It remains to be seen how Starlink will address this bug and provide support to affected customers.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The Starlink bug that locked some users out of their accounts last week was caused by overzealous fraud detection that falsely flagged legitimate accounts as fraudulent. Affected users yesterday received an email titled "False Positive Fraud Account Correction," but not everyone has been able to get back into their accounts yet.

"We had an account issue that led us to falsely flag your account as fraud. We are working to make this right and fix any account modifications over the last week," the email from the SpaceX-owned ISP said. "Please allow until the end of the week to see any account changes be reverted before filing a ticket. Next week, if you are still having an account issue, sign in to your account below to contact Customer Support."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.