Advice Request Start11

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Start11:

A friend told me: third-party apps like above, even from an old and reputable company, they can break other functionality like windows updates in simple terms; I am not saying it would, but it has a slight chance.

What do you think?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
My personal advice would be to take everything with a truckload of salt, in a manner of speaking. Why? Windows 11 is still in development, even if the target release is October 5th, and with it in current iterations of the majority of the software available they are still in "beta" development testing (even if they do officially support Windows 11). Give it a week or two upto a month after official release for your most used and favourite software to get proper support and testing done. Then you will see if the software breaks Windows 11 or if an Windows 11 update breaks the software.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Stardock's Start11 v1.1 restores Start Menu folder support on Windows 11​

Start11 v1.1 is the first major update of the program and it restores another feature that Microsoft removed from its Windows 11 operating system: the ability to group pinned Start Menu items using folders.

Stardock implemented the feature in Start11 version 1.1. All users have to do is hold down the Shift-key on the keyboard before dragging icons on top of each other in the Start Menu interface. A folder is automatically created the firsts time one icon is dropped onto another. Additional icons are added to folders directly. Start 11 users may name folders for easier recognition.

expanded folders windows 11 start menu

Folders display all program icons they contain; a click expands them so that all icons are displayed in their full size. A click on a program icon launches it on the system just like before. Folders can be moved around just like individual icons in the Start Menu.

Start11 users may also right-click on the Start Menu and select the "create new group" option to create an empty folder in the Start Menu. The right-click menu lists other useful options, including a toggle to automatically create folder groups and add icons to folders without having to use the Shift-key.

start11 version 1.1
Closing Words

Stardock continues to bring back functionality to the Start11 start menus that Microsoft removed from Windows 11. Windows 11 users who used folders may restore the feature using the application. Downside to using the application is that it will use some system resources while it is running.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Start11 v1.2 release brings back Taskbar ungrouping and more in Windows 11​

Stardock released v1.2 of Start11 today. Start11 is a program that allows users to customize the Windows Start menu and taskbar for Windows 10 and 11 and can make the Start menu appear as it did in previous versions of Windows, enhancing the experience with new features and functionality.

Start11 v1.2 focuses specifically on enhancing the Windows 11 experience by re-building the taskbar from the ground up to add new functionality. With this release, users will be able to ungroup items on their taskbar with their windows centered or left-aligned.
Changelog (since v1.2 beta):
  • Ungroup icons but remove text (image six in the asset folder)
  • Option to turn off taskbar animations
  • Ctrl + clicking grouped taskbar button now cycles through the open windows
  • Start11 Config app now supports Mica
  • Dozens of bug fixes thanks to help from our beta testers

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Start11 1.22 Delivers a Better Search Experience​

We released an update to Start11 this week that adds a couple of new features to the application - and squashes a few bugs, too. The update is available now and you can either download it from our site or use the in-app update process.

There are a couple of enhancements to the search experience in this release. If you use Edge as your browser, your opened tabs will now show up in your search results. Along with your tabs, we have updated the search results experience to boost the most recent run app of a search query to help you find your relevant content faster.

In addition to the search updates, you can now add the “seconds” back to the clock on the Taskbar if you are running a dev or beta channel build of Windows 11. Note that those on the release build of Windows 11 will not see this option, but once Microsoft updates the OS to a newer build the option will appear.

We have also updated our translations for several languages in v1.22. Make sure to check out the entire changelog to see all of the updates we have made to the app!

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Start11:

A friend told me: third-party apps like above, even from an old and reputable company, they can break other functionality like windows updates in simple terms; I am not saying it would, but it has a slight chance.

What do you think?
There are third-party apps that tweak windows in a way that interferes with updates.
Apps that just modify the start menu and other visual effects are very unlikely to interfere with that.
But there is a possibility of other issues. For instance, if you change the start menu and don't do it right, there are things on the taskbar that won't work.
A properly designed app will probably not cause major issues. But if you want to be cautious, make a backup of your system before installing.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Start11 and StartAllBack are safe to use.
However, I would advise to learn to work with a new OS and not try to bring back the old one.
Using less third-party apps is always the safest option.
And like @shmu26 said make a backup before installing these kinds of apps (y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Start11 and StartAllBack are safe to use.
However, I would advise to learn to work with a new OS and not try to bring back the old one.
Indeed. StartAllBack works here but it breaks the flyouts from some apps in the system tray/overflow, rendering them unusable. I'm not using it now, nor TranslucentTB. My custom theme using SecureUXTheme works fine with stock W11, and that's all I really care about.
I see all these threads on 11Forum for hacking W11 UI and the question arises from some members: If you want W7/10 features, why not use W10? ;)

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Indeed. StartAllBack works here but it breaks the flyouts from some apps in the system tray/overflow, rendering them unusable. I'm not using it now, nor TranslucentTB. My custom theme using SecureUXTheme works fine with stock W11, and that's all I really care about.
I see all these threads on 11Forum for hacking W11 UI and the question arises from some members: If you want W7/10 features, why not use W10? ;)
Stardock was useful when it was windows 8 and windows 8.1, when it didn't have a start menu, today in windows 10 and 11 I see no need to use them.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.