Battle StartupMonitor (by Mike Lin) vs ExeWatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
StartupMonitor (by Mike Lin) vs ExeWatch topic here ..;)

StartupMonitor (by Mike Lin) : home page here : on mlin.net : http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents annoying programs from registering themselves behind your back.

StartupMonitor does not require Startup Control Panel, but it complements it nicely. When you choose not to allow a program to register itself, the program's entry becomes disabled in Startup Control Panel, so you can go back and enable it later if necessary. StartupMonitor watches the Start Menu's Startup folders and the Run entries in the registry.

StartupMonitor works on all modern versions of Windows through XP.

StartupMonitor.exe : Working Set (memory use): 240 KB.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

ExeWatch : home page here : on dre.tx0.org : http://dre.tx0.org/

ExeWatch keeps a careful eye on your hard drives and will instantly alert (beep) you every time a new EXE file appears in any folder, on any fixed drive. Double-click the tray icon to view the details of the latest detections, if any. A solid and lightweight addition for the security-conscious power user.
New in 1.12: multiple partition support, "-q" command-line option for quiet mode.

Compatible with Windows XP and 7, no installation needed, zero configuration, very low CPU/RAM usage. (Copyright 2012 Sven Faw, donationware, portable, 0.3MB).

Thank you for your comments!:D

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I've not used ExeWatch but on my XP Pro SP3 system, StartupMonitor was a hit and miss proposition.

It would detect many or most programs being installed or that would want to start with Windows...but it would miss some too.
Sometimes WinPatrol would catch those that StartupMonitor would miss and sometimes vice versa. And sometimes neither one was successful.

As a result I've removed Mike Lin's nice little app and no longer rely upon it (or WinPatrol in real-time either, for that matter).

Just my personal experience. You mileage may vary.

D

Deleted member 178

Exewatch is able now to rename any exe on the HDD , means in case of infection, the prog may stop it by renaming the malwares right away.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.