App Review Stay Secure by Updating Insecure 3rd Party Software Automatically (Britec09)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I gave Patch My PC a test run to see how it would do.

The Good:

1. Updated several products with ease (silent update).
2. Doesn't install any bundled software with updates.
3. Fast and easy to use.

The Bad:

1. No settings, like location of temp folder to download files, select hard drive to where you want to install the products. By default it installs all products on your main hard drive "C", no option to change that. Like on my system I install my programs to "D" and "C" is used as my OS files. After Patch My PC got done updating, I had two copies of each program installed, one copy on "C" and one copy on "D".

So it ended up causing more problems then for what it helped. I had to remove all duplicate programs.

2. Doesn't cleanup the installers in your temp folders, leaves behind a lot of junk from the installations.

3. Indicated that I needed several Windows Updates, but Windows Updates said that there were no updates available.

My Recommendations:

Patch My PC maybe a nice program for those novice users who don't know how to manually update their own programs. However most of the programs on the list already have auto update features enable by default which usually only requires once click to check. It may also be nice for experienced users who want to quickly update all of their programs at once. The left over junk can be easily cleaned by CCleaner because that is really not a big issue. The main problem is there are many new systems out today that have partitioned hard drives with their OS on one partition and their files on the other. Patch My PC fails to recognize this by not giving user an option to where to install the programs. For that reason, I couldn't recommend this product until that issue is resolved.

Thanks.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.