Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Softpedia said:
Katy McCaffrey, the woman whose stolen iPhone communicated back by uploading photos to iCloud, is relieved to hear that the thief has been apprehended, and that the phone will be returned to her as soon as possible.

Read More

It's awesome to have novice device users on this planet. :D

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
It's good because with iCloud running you can track you iOS device. Although once you notice that your iOS device is gone try locking it ASAP or the thief can turn off iCloud.

D

Deleted member 178

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
It's awesome to have novice device users on this planet. :D

Novice? i would say idiot :D

If i was a thief , first thing i will do with any devices (laptop, phones, etc...) will be to turn off any connectivity modes, then wipe all datas.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
If I was the thief, I would instantly remove battery and the SIM card. Leaving it powered on is asking it to be tracked. :rolleyes:

This thief deserves the boot up the bottom.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
So basically Apple accidentally introduced a built-in anti-theft. :p

Uuuuummmmmm I don't think it is accidental because they have an App called Find My iPhone. They have iCloud installed on all of their newer devices. And you can lock, wipe, send message, and locate your iOS device.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Is it available when out of the box or I have to get it from the App Store?

Get it from store if you are using another iOS device. Like an iPad to track your iPhone. If it is just the iPhone then you just turn it on in the settings and control it from iCloud's ((c) Apple inc.) website.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
MrXidus said:
If I was the thief, I would instantly remove battery and the SIM card. Leaving it powered on is asking it to be tracked. :rolleyes:

I just had to post this. Most if not all apple products are designed to not being capable of being opened and keeping it in the original condition. Other phones this may be capable. And what use is a turned off phone.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Malware Maniac said:
MrXidus said:

I just had to post this. Most if not all apple products are designed to not being capable of being opened and keeping it in the original condition. Other phones this may be capable. And what use is a turned off phone.

I've opened an iPhone before, You just got to have the right tools. There are toolkits that come with correct tools needed.

Installing iPhone 4S Battery | Link

How To Insert SIM Card in iPhone 4/iPhone 3GS | Link

These methods above can be used to remove the simcard and battery.

And yes there are guides and toolkits for the older model iPhones too.

Malware Maniac said:
And what use is a turned off phone.

It would only be turned off until a new compatible sim card is purchased and an attempt to jailbreak it is done. After a long period of time the original owner would have given up on trying to track down the phone and would most likely purchased a new mobile.

Doesn't take a genius to think of something like that.

Thanks. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.