App Review StopZilla! Antivirus 2014 (Manzaitest)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
M

Manzai

Thread author

Average score of StopZilla.
StopZilla uses Vipre engine to detect and remove malware.
The detection rate is good but more malware is gone and seriously infect the system.
Disinfection is urgent, StopZilla is not recommended at this time, but it can be in the future if the antivirus is improving.

@xxtoss23 requests

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I didn't know the existence of this antivirus
Overall it did ok but it needs improvements.
Emmm i forgot to mention that I LOVE THEIR UI
I would definitely keep an eye on this product.
Awesome review Manzai!!!!

M

Manzai

Thread author
Unless they changed a lot since I bought Stopzilla a long time ago, It was not good at detection. Also if you search Stopzilla using Google you will see many Horror stories on their product.

He had behavior a Rogue I believe, I think it has changed.
This version uses Vipre but I know not so.

PS : New avatar :p

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Average score of StopZilla.
StopZilla uses Vipre engine to detect and remove malware.
The detection rate is good but more malware is gone and seriously infect the system.
Disinfection is urgent, StopZilla is not recommended at this time, but it can be in the future if the antivirus is improving.

@xxtoss23 requests

To be correct STOPzilla does only use the framework of the engine, as the "motor" inside the engine is totally home developed.
Their rather new iS3 AVM engine is something Vipre Antivirus would drool by.

Question did you use the Advanced engine? As on normal modus STOPz does nothing much, however in advanced mode it does a hell of a lot better.
I did have a brief phone call in the past with Erika (one of their support staff) to ask about somethings as one of our clients actually used STOPzilla.(And yes we got rid of it lmao) So i can vouch beyond the reasonable doubt that the engine is NOT Vipre, However the framework is..
But the motor is home build so to speak also the signatures they use are a mix between home grown and Vipre/Bitdefender at least that is what Erika told us.

That being said STOPzilla does have some interesting features and some of them if matured enough could be really cool, but they need to mature more, yet its good the managed to get West Coast Labs certification and i am not mistaken they also passed Checkmark certf? So it seems the product is actively being developed and thats always good. So give them time....

M

Manzai

Thread author
So i can vouch beyond the reasonable doubt that the engine is NOT Vipre, However the framework is..
But the motor is home build so to speak also the signatures they use are a mix between home grown and Vipre/Bitdefender at least that is what Erika told us.

I deducted of the detection => Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT => Vipre signature

Reactions: Xtwillight

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Unless they changed a lot since I bought Stopzilla a long time ago, It was not good at detection. Also if you search Stopzilla using Google you will see many Horror stories on their product.

Call me ANY AV/Protection program that does not have many horror stories on the net?
90% of all the horror stories are stupid errors done by the user itself and not by the program they installed.
Usually so called "home" experts have such a crappy computer while they think they are a computer god, that the computer has so much crap on it that it can run at least 24/7 without even being powered by a powercable... it is so polluted that it start generating its own power lol.
Yet horror stories are being written about product X, take my word for it, its 90% user error of all these horror stories..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.