Advice Request Strange WhatsApp message from unknown person

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Meddling_Wizard

Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
So earlier today I received a notification of a new conversation started on WhatsApp. I click the notification and it opens a new WhatsApp chat.

The person who started the chat didn't say anything so I wrote the first message saying 'Who is this'.

They replied with two messages. The first said: Person's name has shared a publication, and a link to a Facebook group. The second message just said 'Your worst nightmare'.

I click the link and it takes me to a Facebook page where it says sorry but the link was removed or broken.

A Google search of the number didn't bring up anything helpful about who this was.

I just blocked the number and deleted the chat and the archive of the chat.

What the hell? Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So earlier today I received a notification of a new conversation started on WhatsApp. I click the notification and it opens a new WhatsApp chat.

The person who started the chat didn't say anything so I wrote the first message saying 'Who is this'.

They replied with two messages. The first said: Person's name has shared a publication, and a link to a Facebook group. The second message just said 'Your worst nightmare'.

I click the link and it takes me to a Facebook page where it says sorry but the link was removed or broken.

A Google search of the number didn't bring up anything helpful about who this was.

Was there anything clickable on the page you landed on? In cases like that, you should not open the link. 'Your worst nightmare' is obviously a bait to get you to open the link.
And if you do open the link, DON'T CLICK on anything.

Meddling_Wizard

Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Was there anything clickable on the page you landed on? In cases like that, you should not open the link. 'Your worst nightmare' is obviously a bait to get you to open the link.
And if you do open the link, DON'T CLICK on anything.
Hi.

Yes there were two buttons. One said sign in the other I can't remember. But no I didn't click on anything I just opened the link since it was for Facebook and I thought it was harmless!

I still have the link and the number of the WhatsApp contact copied on my notes.

Do you think it was just someone fooling around searching for random numbers? Why did he do it?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi.

Yes there were two buttons. One said sign in the other I can't remember. But no I didn't click on anything I just opened the link since it was for Facebook and I thought it was harmless!

I still have the link and the number of the WhatsApp contact copied on my notes.

Do you think it was just someone fooling around searching for random numbers? Why did he do it?
The chances are he wants you to give over sensitive info in the fake login form you will assumedly see if you follow the clicks. But it is also possible he wants to download malware onto your device. Or both.

B

BVLon

There was a malware decade ago known as koobface -> KOOBFACE - Threat Encyclopedia - Trend Micro HK. It used to inject modules into the browser and then send messages like those on FB. Sometimes it used Skype as well (there was another threat known as Pykspa specially for that -> WORM_PYKSE.A - Threat Encyclopedia - Trend Micro HK). This is most probably some clickbaiting, where they just want you to generate a click or download a malicious app. It's an automated script-based message. It might be that someone got infected and the malware just propagates to everyone in the contact book (I am guessing it's mobile malware), or they have obtained a list of numbers and they batch send messages. Do not fall victim for these simple attacks. Do not click on anything and block/delete users and messages immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meddling_Wizard

Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Even though I cliked the link, and didn't click the sign in button on the following 'Facebook' page, my computer remembers my login details so I never need to sign in. So does this mean he still managed to get my Facebook details even tho I didn't type them in the Web page?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Even though I cliked the link, and didn't click the sign in button on the following 'Facebook' page, my computer remembers my login details so I never need to sign in. So does this mean he still managed to get my Facebook details even tho I didn't type them in the Web page?
You are safe. Your computer will only sign you in automatically if it is the genuine sign in page. If it is a fake, your computer will not recognize the page, and will not fill in your details.

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
G'day @Meddling_Wizard

You would be wise, in future, to scan ANY link you are unsure of. One way of doing this is via VirusTotal. There are other link scanners at some AV suppliers such as Kaspersky, etc.

If you don't know or, trust the source of any link - delete. Online scanners are not infallible.

Knowledge and judgement are your first line of defence.

Thank you for sharing your information. You've had excellent advice, above.

I wish you well for the future!

Stay safe, well & happy.🙏

@TRS-80 (y)

Ali300

Apr 22, 2021

Yes it happened to me I block them, their are just bunch of hackers and scammers they will take all your data and idk it could be even more worse, Omg why did u click on the link 😳 I hope ur device don't get hacked, remember this don't click any link don't chat with them and if u feel suspicious block them and report them immediately so they can't harm anyone them, and stay safe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.