Shootfire Config

Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Windows Defender for Win10
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Free
Herd Protect
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome with AdBlock and McAfee WebAdvisor (SiteAdvisor)
Maintenance tools
CCleaner

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Just looking for some suggestions to beef up the security of my current setup. After years of relying on traditional suites and A/V products, I'm trying the build your own layered solution, with the goal of keeping memory use at or below what I'd use with a suite... Here's what I have now.

On-access/real time: Win Defender for Win 10
HIPS/system monitor: Win Patrol Free
Browser safety/ URL checker: McAfee Web Advisor
On-demand scanners (1x/week or more): Malwarebytes Free + HerdProtect
DNS: OpenDNS
Windows Firewall - default settings
^^^ This uses about 65 MB of memory at idle (Win Defender, WinPatrol, WebAdvisor) ^^^

I was thinking back to PC Tools' ThreatFire, which is no longer available, but wondering if something like that would add any benefit (if such a thing exists now)... Any other suggestions? I'm not particularly worried about a fancy firewall, because I almost always use this system at home behind a U-verse router firewall.

THANKS!
Dave

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Your UAC level is not high enough to keep you safe.
Interesting. I thought it was the same as default, just the screen does not dim when notifying. Are you saying default is not safe enough in general? Thx

D

Deleted member 178

Interesting. I thought it was the same as default, just the screen does not dim when notifying. Are you saying default is not safe enough in general? Thx

Default is decent , but bypassing UAC is easier when at Default or Dim level. Put UAC at maximum is the best option but the multiple prompts may annoy people.

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Default is decent , but bypassing UAC is easier when at Default or Dim level. Put UAC at maximum is the best option but the multiple prompts may annoy people.
I'll give it a shot. Not sure my use profile is risky enough to warrant that level, but I am up for trying it.

I'd suggest freeware anti-executable: NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro.

http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_15052015_BUILD1.exe

This security soft will allow you to control what executes on your system + you can define additional vulnerable processes.

hjlbx, thx - I'll take a look. Any thoughts on Malwarebytes Anti Exploit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 178

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Setting UAC to maximum (Always notify) is not an inconvenience.It is advisable to use the max setting but default is better than nothing.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: Andytay70

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Setting UAC to maximum (Always notify) is not an inconvenience.It is advisable to use the max setting but default is better than nothing.
Thanks for sharing your config :)
Well, ya can't say something is not an inconvenience for everyone... it's a personal thing... my 70 year old dad would have a nervous breakdown with all those prompts, for example.

PS been using Anti Exploit while working overnight... no issues, it's unobtrusive if you turn the dang Windows 10 notifications off... and uses a little less than 5MB.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well, ya can't say something is not an inconvenience for everyone... it's a personal thing... my 70 year old dad would have a nervous breakdown with all those prompts, for example.

PS been using Anti Exploit while working overnight... no issues, it's unobtrusive if you turn the dang Windows 10 notifications off... and uses a little less than 5MB.
I did not say for everyone.This is based on your configuration.As I said it is advisable but what someone does personally is their choice.

N

Noxx

I recommend you get LastPass or some other password manager, and maybe consider replacing adblock with ADGUARD or uBlock Origin. That's really it other than what others have suggested regarding your UAC settings.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

LastPass and Blur are the best Password Managers, you need UAC to Default or better Always Notify.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.